Video Avermedia DVD EZMaker Gold V1A8 with TataSky HD "Recording@768x576" short review

sanjiv

Disciple
After trying to decrypt the contents of my TataSky HDD unsuccessfully i finally caved in and bought a capture card from the local shop. Its a Avermedia DVD EZMaker Gold V1A8 and since its cheap it does not have any HDMI or high def inputs
<

The reason why i did not buy a TV tuner instead is because i have no need for the TV tuner chipset only a capturing device which can preview and record and the Avermedia DVD EZMaker Gold V1A8 can do just that.

Here is the list of cards that were avalible with the seller he had no Hauppauge or any other brand:

Aver DVD EZMaker Gold:- 2100

Aver DarkCrystal HD Capture Pro:- 7600

Aver Game Broadcaster HD:- 9000

As you can see i choose the cheapest one purely because i was not sure that the HD card would do H/W based encode for H.264. I can always upgrade to a better card which supports 1080i/1080p and ac3.

Now on to the card it is not bad at all for the money records pretty well but it did not use hardware based encode for anything other than MPEG2. But after an hour of tinkering i found a setting which results in 0 frames dropped and the audio being AC3 is hardware accelerated by my home theater.

Here is my mediainfo:-

General

Complete name : C:\capture_23_14_13.avi

Format : AVI

Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave

File size : 5.41 MiB

Duration : 6s 360ms

Overall bit rate : 7 136 Kbps

Video

ID : 0

Format : VP7

Format profile : General

Codec ID : VP70

Codec ID/Hint : On2

Duration : 6s 360ms

Bit rate : 6 301 Kbps

Width : 768 pixels

Height : 576 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 4:3

Frame rate : 25.000 fps

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.570

Stream size : 4.78 MiB (88%)

Audio

ID : 1

Format : AC-3

Format/Info : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension : CM (complete main)

Codec ID : 2000

Duration : 5s 984ms

Bit rate mode : Constant

Bit rate : 640 Kbps

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Channel positions : Front: L R

Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth : 16 bits

Compression mode : Lossy

Stream size : 468 KiB (8%)

Alignment : Aligned on interleaves

Interleave, duration : 265 ms (6.63 video frames)
I have attached an sample from the card, the video comes from TataSky+ HD via a S-Video to the card. The audio from TataSky comes to the Linein of the computer and is thus recorderd as 2 channel by the cards software.

Now you can choose between a few formats to record in MPEG2, MPEG1, h264 and VP70. MPEG2 is HW accelarated but neither h.264 or VP70 are, i was only interested in VP70 and h264 and after a little testing i came to the conclusion that h264 sucked in comparison to VP70 in real time encoding with the resolution limit. The audio codes in hand are PCM, MP3, ac3 and WMA. I am using ac3 because my home theater that is attached to my computer via HDMI can accelate ac3,DTS and MPEG audio via passthrough.

CONCLUSION:- Its fine for now but i am going to upgrade to some thing that can record like 6pack's hauppauge hd tv tuner "See the spoiler"

http://www.techenclave.com/topic/50...d-conversion/page__view__findpost__p__1700961

This records in 768x576 while TataSky resolution is 1280x720 so its not really recording all the details TataSky puts out but for Rs.2100 its fine. Oh ya my Creative XFi Audio is not recognised at all by the Avermedia DVD EZMaker Gold V1A8 software.

Here is the SAMPLE its 5MB

Here are the image captures:

12345zb.jpg

23u4wfn.jpg

UPDATE No-1:

I hate analog technology because of the difference that can come about if a different cable is used. The following are the result of a gold plated Belkin F8 v308 6Feet S-Video cable that i use to connect my TV and the dvd player. The results are much better than the cable provided by Avermedia, the images are sharper and edges on texts are also much better.

The cable cost me around Rs.1800-1900 about two years back, unlike a HDMI cable where the medium does not matter all that much analog puts a importance on the interconnect medium used.

Here is an video SAMPLE "7MB" after the new S-Video cable was used

Here are the screen captures after the new S-Video cable was used:

o6cket.jpg

ftj7zq.jpg

The cable was bought 2 years back and it was expensive then now its cheaper not sure by how much. Tinypic has deleted my screenshot of Clarkson maybe they think he is too old and ragga to be hosted on Tinypic
<

Back