Audio Technica ATH-M35 review

dsc044061.jpg

This is the bigger brother of the Audio-Technica M20 that I last reviewed -

http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/audio-technica-m20-review-184629.html

This headphone retails for Rs 3400 (TE special price) and are more expensive than my favourite budget headphones - the Koss Portapros. The M20 gave a tough fight to the Koss Portapros but no clear winner appeared.

So I was interested to see just how well the M35 will fare against the Portapros.

The M35 is a newly released headphone and its slated to replace the M30 and M40 headphones.

image005so.jpg

Specifications

* Type: Closed-back dynamic

* Driver diameter: 40 mm

* Magnet: Neodymium

* Voice coil: Copper-clad aluminum wire

* Frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz

* Maximum input power: 1,600 mW at 1 kHz

* Sensitivity: 100 dB

* Impedance: 65 ohms

* Cable: 3.4 m (11'), OFC litz wire, left-side exit

* Connector: 3.5 mm (1/8") gold-plated stereo mini-plug

* Accessories included: Screw-on 6.3 mm (1/4") adapter; protective pouch

With an impedance of 65 ohms and a sensitivity of just 100 dB these arent the easiest headphones to drive but I could get enough volume even when paired with my BlackBerry mobile phone.

One thing of note is the ultra long 3.4m (11 feet !) cable which can be bothersome if you wear these on the go. However in a home environment it means you can easily move around without running out of cable.

They do come with a carry pouch in case you wish to carry them around safely.

Photos

image007rw.jpg

image008doq.jpg

image009iz.jpg

image012gj.jpg

Build Quality and Comfort

Build quality is very good and they are rugged phones. Clamping force is much higher than the M20s which means they aren't as comfortable as the M20s. That said Isolation is much better and comparable to shallow inserted IEMs.

Compared to the Portapros, the M35s have both much better build and much better isolation to boot ! They aren't as comfortable as my HD650 but they provide much better isolation. Great for late night gaming ! :)

Sound

These were burned in for maybe 12 hours or so and I have listened to them for at least 10 - 12 hours. I did not notice much changes (if any) so I doubt these headphones need any significant burn-in to sound their best , though your mileage may vary.

Sources -

BlackBerry 8330

HRT Music Streamer II

HRT Music Streamer II -> Compass Amp

First off, these headphones can be safely enjoyed out of a BlackBerry handset, but they do noticeably scale up with a better source like the Music Streamer. This is a change from the M20 which did not scale significantly with a better source. The bass gets more extension along with the treble. They are still enjoyable but volume may not be enough for some music.

Amping did not make any significant difference which is a good thing since at their price point a requirement of a dedicated amplifier will reduce their VFM.

Bass - Bass is definitely bigger than what younger brother M20 can produce. Its very tight and hits low. Throw a lot of fast paced music and the bass never loses control as the decay is very quick. Compared to my favorite Portapros, the M35 clearly outclasses the them as the Portapros portray mostly mid bass and it sounds rather muddy at times with a slower decay time. I have heard the Audio-Technica M50s and the M50s have significantly more impact, body and weight but I prefer the faster and tighter M35 bass as the bass on the M35 has more than enough punch and weight for my tastes. I prefer the M35 bass more than the HD650 with its noticeable mid bass hump !

Mids - While the M20 mids were slightly recessed (emphasis on slightly), the M35 have very neutral mids. They are neither forward nor recessed. They are just where they are supposed to be. Mids are more detailed on the M35 compared to the M20 and are as smooth. The Portapros have a forward midrange which I like but the M35 has a bit more detailing which makes it a tie. Many less neutral headphones favour either the male or the female voice. The M35 has no such tilt and both male and female voices sound great.

Treble - The M35 has some awesome treble. Its well extended and best of all no sibilance or harshness. Just the way treble should be. While sibilance will show itself when present in the recording, cymbal crashes has both shimmer and sparkle. The M20 treble was recessed which contributed to a neutral-dark signature. The M35 has a far more engaging treble but the overall sound is neither bright nor dark. Its very well balanced. The Portapros have decent treble but they are clearly outclassed by the M35. Detailing is very good and noticeably better than the both the M20 and slightly better than the Portapros. Compared to the HD650 the M35 has more energy/sparkle but overall detailing and micro detailing is a notch or two better than the M35. However the difference is not so significant considering the amount of time I put in listening to the M35 with the HD650 and my YH-100 orthodyamnics sitting next to me begging me for a listen.

Soundstage - The soundstage is very similar to the M20. Its not very large but neither does it sound closed in. Thanks to being a closed can, imaging and position is definitely better than average but cannot beat the HD650 in either width or imaging. Instrument separation is much better than the M20 and slightly better than the Portapros as well. The Portapros has a rather in your head soundstage and the M35 easily outclasses it here.

The overall sound is very neutral and a wide variety of genres can be enjoyed with the M35. Since there is no mid bass they are not warm sounding headphones like the Portapros. Also they are neither dark nor bright. Its very difficult to produce a truly neutral can at this price range so kudos to the Audio-Technica engineers to make something so neutral at this low price point.

If you see above the M35 clearly outclasses my favourite Portapros in each and every parameter be it build quality, isolation, bass, mids, treble and soundstage.

The M35 is now my new benchmark for < 5000 headphones and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a bang for the buck neutral headphone.

Conclusion

Who should avoid these cans ?

Those who like boomy bass with a slow decay.

Those looking for a coloured sound should also shy away.

Those looking for portable cans should note the cable length.

Who should go for these cans ?

Those who want a neutral sound with great bass, mids, treble and have a decent source to do these cans justice.

Those who want something with good isolation and minimum sound leakage will also be happy with these cans.

I will say it again, these cans are awesome VFM and the fact that I can compare them with cans like the HD650 means they are definitely a class above all the other budget cans and I highly recommend them. :hap2:

Another awesome headphone review :D I had tried the M35s for a brief period and totally loved them.

BTW, there 1-2 typos in the review. Blackberry headphones :S

Thanks guys ! :D

@Faheem - Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I had got rid of all typos but I found a few more after I checked right now. Hopefully all typos are gone now. :ashamed:

Neat review Brendon. Precise and crisp. :)

Having a hard time positioning the cans with those door handles? :p

OverlorD said:
Could you do me a favor and measure the cup size?
Nice one man! :lol:

@OverlorD - Thanks !

Will go home and check but frankly while they are considered Circumaural headphones (around the ear) they do not completely cover your ears like a Sennheiser HD555 or Sennhesier HD650.

@Gannu - Thanks ! Need to buy a headphone stand from Pristine Note for further headphone reviews. :ashamed:

Thanks ! I hope you are talking about the headphone cup size only ?
:no: Of course that's what I meant. :p
I realize that they aren't huge as the HD555's but if they manage to cover my ears I am satisfied. :)

Is this thread still related to headphones? :p

Anyways, nice review Brendon! Seems like a very good choice in the budget range. If it had not been for the 11 feet cable, would have made a very good portable closed can..err..headphone as well.

Sorry, came home at 10 pm yesterday. Will measure the size today. :)

But as I said earlier, they dont completely cover your ears like the HD555. Its more like the HD201/HD202.

esanthosh said:
Is this thread still related to headphones? :p

Anyways, nice review Brendon! Seems like a very good choice in the budget range. If it had not been for the 11 feet cable, would have made a very good portable closed can..err..headphone as well.
Yes with 11 feet of cables, you will have to take care of them if you intend to carry them around like an IEM! I have liked them for the details. In my inventory I think they are the best value for money headphones. I have not compared them with HD650, however if it comes someone as mature as Brendon, I have no reason to doubt. Nice review, I think you need to get a headphone stand ... .:)!

The long cables are basically for the studios where you need to monitor while keep shuffling over the consoles. They are the alternative to the coiled cables of M20 and the M50.

@Overlord - The cup measurements are 10cm x 6.2 cm (length x width).

In comparison the HD650 have a measurement of 12cm x 9 cm.

@Pristine Note - Thanks ! :D

@chiron - I do not have the M50 on hand to do a comparison but from memory the M50 has much more bass impact and body. The bass also has a slow decay which gives it that thump that bass heads love ! :)

However the overall sound is a bit dark compared to the neutral M35. Its down to a matter of preference to what you like. If you like heavy head banging bass then the M50s will not disappoint. However if you want tight fast bass and a neutral sound then the M35 will be a good bet. However do note that the M35 retails at Rs 3500 (Rs 3400 for TE members) while the M50 retails for more like 7300 (TE price).

@BF1983: Best news I have heard, apparently it might be just enough to fully cover my ear.
This is the size of the headphone's interior correct? The distance between the oval leather cover?
@PristineNote: I might come to your shop to audition some cans. Do I need to make an appointment or something? :bleh:

You are most welcome to come and visit us. However please take an appointment. We also have now 5.1 Sound, Nerul, Navi Mumbai as our dealer and they have these products in demo.

BF1983 said:
@Overlord - The cup measurements are 10cm x 6.2 cm (length x width).

In comparison the HD650 have a measurement of 12cm x 9 cm.

@Pristine Note - Thanks ! :D

@chiron - I do not have the M50 on hand to do a comparison but from memory the M50 has much more bass impact and body. The bass also has a slow decay which gives it that thump that bass heads love ! :)

However the overall sound is a bit dark compared to the neutral M35. Its down to a matter of preference to what you like. If you like heavy head banging bass then the M50s will not disappoint. However if you want tight fast bass and a neutral sound then the M35 will be a good bet. However do note that the M35 retails at Rs 3500 (Rs 3400 for TE members) while the M50 retails for more like 7300 (TE price).
hmm... interesting; so depending on tastes could the M35 might be a good alternative even to the much pricier M50? Are they comparable in terms of high/mids/detail etc? Anyone else able to compare the two?

Back