Asus WL520-GU Wireless Router @ 1.9k Shipped !

Status
Not open for further replies.
WL-520gU

EZ Wireless Router with All-in-One Printer Server

asus520gu.jpg

G Series Wi-Fi Router
  • All-in-One Printer Server: Wirelessly and simultaneously share printing and scanning functions for multiple users
  • Auto-detection and New EZ UI (Easy User Interface): delivers the easiest and fastest way to setup your router.
  • EZ QoS - Powerful and easily-operated BOD (Bandwidth On Demand) streamlines your Gaming/Audio/Video experience.

Product Link

Price - 1900/- Shipped.

I vouch for the N16. I got one from SMC a few days back. Before that I got the WL520GU. I thought I will shift my bit torrent duties to this router. However the 520GU would die if I would add more than 3 torrents. The I got the N16 and currently I have 16 torrents each with an average size of 10GB on it and the router is not even showing 40% load. Both the routers were modded with the dd-wrt firmware.

If you want the 520GU for its wifi, you won't be disappointed though. It serves well out of the box.

SumitB said:
I vouch for the N16. I got one from SMC a few days back. Before that I got the WL520GU. I thought I will shift my bit torrent duties to this router. However the 520GU would die if I would add more than 3 torrents. The I got the N16 and currently I have 16 torrents each with an average size of 10GB on it and the router is not even showing 40% load. Both the routers were modded with the dd-wrt firmware.

If you want the 520GU for its wifi, you won't be disappointed though. It serves well out of the box.

Did you notice any impact on the transfer speed of the torrent? Laptop/Desktop vs. the router?

+LT

I shifted to this solution as I prefer to switch off my system at nights. After the initial hiccups involved in the setting up of the router, it has been stable for the last three days. The speeds I am getting are 5-10% more than what I used to get with my computer. The only issue I am having is that in case my router looses the internet connection due to the fault of my isp, the router reboots itself and upon restart, the torrent client runs a hash check. This only happens if the internet connection goes down for 10-12 times in a short period of time which wont happen on a normal connection but in my case, this was happening as BSNL was having issues with my connection. The issues were sorted out yesterday and in 20 hours, I have downloaded about 13GB. I am fully satisfied with the initial performance. Thank you Sachin.

SumitB said:
I shifted to this solution as I prefer to switch off my system at nights. After the initial hiccups involved in the setting up of the router, it has been stable for the last three days. The speeds I am getting are 5-10% more than what I used to get with my computer. The only issue I am having is that in case my router looses the internet connection due to the fault of my isp, the router reboots itself and upon restart, the torrent client runs a hash check. This only happens if the internet connection goes down for 10-12 times in a short period of time which wont happen on a normal connection but in my case, this was happening as BSNL was having issues with my connection. The issues were sorted out yesterday and in 20 hours, I have downloaded about 13GB. I am fully satisfied with the initial performance. Thank you Sachin.

you must be on optware with ddwrt... i have used it with 520gu and can second your view... i know once it gets going, its simply fantastic... if and when u have the will and time, try the tomato teddy bear mod for this router... i used it on 520gu and boy was i kicked... i ended up using it in place of ddwrt... just my two cents...

SumitB said:

I would like to mention about GuruPlug if your primary purpose is as a download server.

Has a 1.2 Ghz Processor, 512 MB Ram, eSata, 2 Gb Ethernet, USB, Wifi, BT all for $129 :D

varkey said:
I would like to mention about GuruPlug if your primary purpose is as a download server.

Has a 1.2 Ghz Processor, 512 MB Ram, eSata, 2 Gb Ethernet, USB, Wifi, BT all for $129 :D

I am aware of this but the issue is where can we get this? Anyone willing to start a GO for this so that this can be procured?

varkey said:

wow... i read about this a long time back... u have it/tried it? which distro does it run on?

SumitB - You can directly order it from GlobalScape. If you order two the shipping costs wont be that high. Will come to around $307 for two GuruPlug Server Plus shipped by Fedex.

dheerajjotwani said:
wow... i read about this a long time back... u have it/tried it? which distro does it run on?

I was going to purchase two for me and my friend. I think it runs Ubuntu or Debian.

varkey said:
SumitB - You can directly order it from GlobalScape. If you order two the shipping costs wont be that high. Will come to around $307 for two GuruPlug Server Plus shipped by Fedex.

I was going to purchase two for me and my friend. I think it runs Ubuntu or Debian.

i would be interested to know how it performs... and more :bleh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back