User Review Asus DSL N12U B1 Review

Intro :-

Asus DSL N12U B1 is an attempt by Asus to reach the masses in India to by offering ADSL Routers since still more than 65% of Indian users uses ADSL+ , this review would talk about B1 Hardware Revision and it comes with 1.0.4 Software version which was updated to 1.0.5.1 to test the functionality.

2qhVM09.jpg

The box comes with usual Ethernet Cable , ADSL Jack , ADSL Cable , Instruction Manual , Power Cable and the Router.

2sMTTHr.jpg

Design :-

dpCwpl2.jpg

Inspires highly from RT N55U though not as good looking as RTN55 but still looks really good , comes with de-attachable antenna , the router offers usual 4 LAN connection , 1 WAN and 1 for ADSL Line also has easy WiFi switch on and off and reset router button. It also provides a USB connection to connect your USB to router and start streaming data off the router.I still like the Neon Glow Lights of the router which are easy on eyes.

VqMQsne.jpg?1

The router does has any heat dissipation from front only seems to have on sides which was surprising not because it was not there but despite it being missing there was no heating when compared to other routers like DLink and Tp Link.

XgI9Ufu.jpg

Configuring:-

Configuring the router is piece of cake since it does not even require any CD or any stuff once you turn on the router it automatically opens IE and starts asking you details it picks all details on its own exception for your ADSL username and password which makes the job of configuring a hell lot of faster and easier.

GUI :-

The GUI is still is old when compared to Asus newer older the new HD Touch GUI is missing here but it does the job fairly well despite that, quite satisfied with GUI since most options can be easily located.

ulj76Vp.jpg?3

The router also offers USB Support to share media wireless via router however there is a limitation of file size and it seems its based on FAT32 FS as files over 4Gb were not visible tested with EXT3 , EXT4 , NTFS and FAT32 all were detected and worked very well.

Range :-

I used this router for around 2 Months and in the month of December it was just kept continuously for about 1 month and since i use the wireless a lot of steaming test was done on router and despite having steam a 12GB movie it was able to handle itself very well.I had no issues at all in streaming movies the only problem i got was at times after 3-4 days sometimes the movie would start stuttering but it was quickly resolved by just a reboot but happened occasionally that too after keeping it on for 3-4 days.

For testing the router thoroughly i put a cloth on the router just to make sure it has no heat dissipation and then start streaming of data this was done to make sure the router works well even in very hot condition.The range on the router would say was good though not excellent but it was expected since its not a high end router I was able to connect to my network over 5 walls and still stream the movies also i was able to connect to my network from my building top on a 4 floor building which was good as i never used to get this range on my D-Link 2750U

There are couple of things which i noticed which i thought i should mention here

1. The GUI shows my password on Main Page which i would have not wanted to show see screenshot.
2. For Every Change in setting of router the router reboots itself which is highly frustrating and would like to have the router handle the changes on real time without having the router to be rebooted.
3. The router currently does not supports dual DDNS support so it works only with one DDNS client at once would like to have a dual support for DDNS.
4. Port Forwarding is really not easy to be done in the router as it falls under Virtual Server maybe it should be separated and re-named the label as Port Forwarding ?
5. I had to switch to G.DMT sync mode as it gave me more stable line on my MTNL when compared to ADSL+ sync mode so do take a note of this in case you want a more stable line.

Conclusion :-

The price range is around 3.7k and it offers really great router experience as the router didn't gave me any Wifi disconnection , nor did i see any reboot issue over a period of 2 months the router is a very good competitor over DLink DSL 2750U and TP Link 8968 however N12U is way over 2750U just because of its stability in its wifi connection and over W8968 as well as it seems to be having problems with MTNL connection as its resulting into Disconnection, the one place where N12U losses is the price point which is less for 2750U and W8968 however if you one who keeps your router on for long period of time would recommend N12U over the other 2 routers.

Thanks to Asus for providing the router.

I bought this modem recently expecting that it would support my multi-function Samsung laser printer, but failed to use the printer when connected with the USB port on the modem. Any advice on using printers with it?

Back