Android Are the Moto G and Moto X backed by decent service?

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
So there is no doubt that Moto G is a super phone for the price. Moto X fairly good too. But what about the service?

This is the only reason I have seen people shying away from this handset and buying phones like Samsung Galaxy Core instead of Moto G? :facepalm:

I didnt push them further coz god forbid something happened to the handset I would get cursed for life.

I really want Moto to do well. The phones are so much better than that Samsung shit.

Samsung phones are very good hardware wise but the software kills them and kills the advantage of having a superior hardware.

Motorola have outsourced the service to a third party vendor for now and looks they are doing ok with it for now.

This is the only reason I have seen people shying away from this handset and buying phones like Samsung Galaxy Core instead of Moto G? :facepalm:

I didnt push them further coz god forbid something happened to the handset I would get cursed for life.
My sentiments exactly :(

Its backed by lenovo. is there any feedback by lenovo owners here, past & present.

There is a list of service centres in the box. So only cities that have one.

hehe, yes when will it actually happen. Soon-to-be is what they are saying.

Interesting point though, the only way to sell moto g was by flipkart, maybe others were less willing as there is still an element of uncertainty involved. Once it hits the streets the price will inevitably rise.

Which means buying a moto is a gamble of sorts right now. One is betting that the acquisition will go through.

Last edited:
So there is no doubt that Moto G is a super phone for the price. Moto X fairly good too. But what about the service?

True, and if they are your colleagues or relatives then you can't stop seeing them too :p

I guess, Moto's A.S.S would be like that of the Chinese rebranders / Indian companies. Anything happens, take the device back to China, fix it or give the customer a new one in return.

It has to be emphasised that moto's product was not designed by a chinese company and is therefore of a higher quality than rebranded. You're not going to have the same kinds of reliability problems with moto. Erica dunks the g in water for half and hour and still it survives. This for a phone advertised as water resistant and nothing more. She also dropped the phone a few times and found it ok. It's well built. Who puts gorilla glass 3 on 12-14k phone.

What people need are battery replacements and screen changes, broken ports that sort of thing. If the spares are available i don't see how hard it can be. If not then have to wait some time to get it fixed.

Last edited:
^ True. Moto's device quality definitely is better. But the A.S.S model should be the same as of the Indian companies given they are returning to the country after 2 years. Liked the approach of BB, where they used to give the customer a temporary phone to use during the RMA downtime. Not sure if they follow the same practice now.

What is lenovo's service model like though ? this is what we expect will happen eventually. Are people happy with lenovo's service in other areas. Let's say no service is required for 6-12 months.

Chinese companies selling in india i think are better than rebranded.

My Moto X is assembled in China, not Fort Worth, Texas.

That being said, the construction is seriously amazing. I'd say it's up to par with iPhones and HTC stuff, the difference being that it uses plastic instead of metal. iPhone 5c would be a good comparison I guess.

As far as ASS goes, it's widely reported that Motorola's customer service is excellent in most countries. I don't think it'll be very different here since they're trying hard to make a comeback. They can't afford to be negligent.

Man, seriously... I tested a Galaxy S5 at a Reliance Digital yesterday. Everything except the price tag screamed cheap in comparison.

Edit: BTW the Lenovo deal has NOT gone through yet. Go to their website and it still reads Motorola - A Google company.

My Moto X is assembled in China, not Fort Worth, Texas.

That being said, the construction is seriously amazing. I'd say it's up to par with iPhones and HTC stuff, the difference being that it uses plastic instead of metal. iPhone 5c would be a good comparison I guess.

As far as ASS goes, it's widely reported that Motorola's customer service is excellent in most countries. I don't think it'll be very different here since they're trying hard to make a comeback. They can't afford to be negligent.

Man, seriously... I tested a Galaxy S5 at a Reliance Digital yesterday. Everything except the price tag screamed cheap in comparison.

Edit: BTW the Lenovo deal has NOT gone through yet. Go to their website and it still reads Motorola - A Google company.
Almost all mobile phones are assembled in China. From the iPhone 5 to the Moto G/Moto X.

A friend reported that a relative of his, cracked his Moto G screen. Replacement screen costs 8k. How is this even possible :|

^Quite possible if he broke the digitizer and everything, most of the screen replacements are around 5k+ even in grey market like gaffar/karol bagh

A friend reported that a relative of his, cracked his Moto G screen. Replacement screen costs 8k. How is this even possible :|
Depends whether the front assembly was broken as well. But that price is high. Just see what the parts go for.

screen & digitiser at $65 with front assembly $95. How much will import + labour be on top of that.

Here is a different take.

Someone i know ended up with a s duos and i looked at his techie wife for an explanation.

her answer : he did not want moto

Moto left a bit of a stink when they last quit india and its still lingering. Dealing with an emotional hangup here, logical points like build quality, experience, price are moot.

I wished he got a core, but he decided to be smart and save a few bucks.

the latest core 2 is a downsized version of its former self, less ram and half the storage and costs much more than a moto e. Great way to screw up an acceptable line (!)

The core was a safe recommend backed by a company with lots of business, now have to find an alternative. Nokia is also well known but given the way its going of late with their new parent i'm not sure whether to recommend a 525 either. And its a really good phone :(

Last edited:
Back