Apple might launch iTunes for Android

Apple is thinking of launching an iTunes app for Android, as well as an on-demand streaming service similar to Spotify, Billboard reports.
This is likely because downloads of music from iTunes are in decline as more and more people transitioning to streaming music services like Pandora, Spotify, Beats Music and Rdio.

Thanks to those streaming services, the music industry was able to sustain revenues of $7 billion, nearly the same as it has been since 2009, the RIAA says. It's neither growing nor shrinking at this point.

Digital downloads still brought in the most revenue to the music industry, but a 1% decline to $2.4 billion suggests that people are moving away from purchasing music and moving toward streaming services.

That's why it's no wonder Apple launched iTunes Radio, a streaming version of iTunes that competes directly with Pandora. Apple is reportedly working on a standalone app for iTunes Radio so that it can better target Pandora.

With an iTunes app for Android, Apple could even further compete with Pandora, and also potentially increase music downloads.

Source

Wont this be like shooting itself in the foot?
Because itunes is basically the gateway where the customers been tied to since a long long time, retrieving their purchased stuff only on iOS platform.

If itunes debuts on Android (or more such platforms) wont apple be giving away its trump card away ?
Unless they plan to release a stream only app for Android.

iTunes is also available for Windows. They sell many things on there. This would actually make the platform more strong, as people who majorly use Android will also be more inclined to buy/get their media fix from iTunes.

If they remove all the unwanted bloat from iTunes I'll consider installing it on my pc. I don't want quick time or anything else with it. Just a simple interface to buy and see stuff I bought.
If their Android app is anything like iTunes I won't even bother. Don't want a 100MB app in my phone just to buy music.

OT

I remember long time back I had used iTunes (on windows machine) to sync music with my sony Ericsson w800i.
The sony phone was detected fine by iTunes and it allowed the sync.
Don't remember much though now.

That's not because of iTunes. Its because of windows drivers. Most Android phones show up as storage or mtp devices in windows and hence can be easily seen by all programs.

Back