Car & Bike Apache 180 vs Pulsar 180 vs Karizma

AMG

Skilled
Budget = 35K (used bike)
Usage = less than 500 km a month, unless I decide to go for outstation trips, in which case it may be like a 1000 km a week
Height = 6'1
Weight = 100 and reducing
Riding style = sedate

Last edited:
in my opinion you should go for karizma, its easy on city as well as nice for touring too (if you are intended for it ). As of apache, i never liked its engine and does have reliability issue, and riding position of pulsar with short handle is not my taste.

you may look for http://olx.in/item/hero-honda-karizma-2009-model-IDWgXnJ.html#1f03777a84 , since its 6year ~~ old, but looking at bike condition, you will have to spend 7-8k extra on it in order to bring the bike back to pristine condition, the muffler protector is gone, so does the chain cover (which is must if you want your chain to last longer),

change spark plug, oil filter, fuel filter, put new oil (motul), buy chain cover, new muffler protector, get the carburetor cleaned, brakes checked (if necessary get pads changed), get bosch dual horn installed, also if possible get new pair of shoes for her, get 3m treatment done, and bang!! you got an awesome bike at your disposal.

in my opinion you should go for karizma, its easy on city as well as nice for touring too (if you are intended for it ). As of apache, i never liked its engine and does have reliability issue, and riding position of pulsar with short handle is not my taste.

you may look for http://olx.in/item/hero-honda-karizma-2009-model-IDWgXnJ.html#1f03777a84 , since its 6year ~~ old, but looking at bike condition, you will have to spend 7-8k extra on it in order to bring the bike back to pristine condition, the muffler protector is gone, so does the chain cover (which is must if you want your chain to last longer),

change spark plug, oil filter, fuel filter, put new oil (motul), buy chain cover, new muffler protector, get the carburetor cleaned, brakes checked (if necessary get pads changed), get bosch dual horn installed, also if possible get new pair of shoes for her, get 3m treatment done, and bang!! you got an awesome bike at your disposal.

Never realized you could write a meaningful post.

The Karizma is a sensible choice although I would also suggest having a look at the Suzuki GS150R. The bike doesn't have great resale value so you can get one well within your budget. Just make sure it's in decent condition with not too many clicks on the ODO. For example, I bought one 2011 model with just under 8K on the ODO for 38K. Could have got it for lesser but as the owner had maintained it very well, didn't bargain too much in lieu of greater peace of mind.

It's got a gem of an engine, excellent cruising capacity, laid back style, large dimensions that will suit your build, and very very comfortable.

Only downside is spare parts hard to come by unless you visit the official SVC. That said, the bike remains highly underrated and is worth considering.

The ZMA is a very smooth, trouble free vehicle.
It will comfortably handle city traffic as well as the highway. You can do an effortless 80-100 (with the maximum speed being around 125ish). However, the engine is stress free at touring speeds of 80 and also gives good mileage of around 35-40 kmpl.

You can get a 09 model for less than 30K in good condition. You will need to check for the usual stuff. Tyres, chain sprocket wear, engine noise (tappet sound or timing chain etc). Brake condition (if the front pads are worn out by the previous owner and there is scoring on the disc, it's expensive to replace it). If the tyres are EOL, it'll cost around 3-4K to get a set of new tyres. Check for switchgear issues, check for rusting (the silencer/exhaust from the engine end is prone to rust, so you can ignore that).
Also suggest you thoroughly read the XBHP ZMA thread to know what you're getting into. We have tackled most issues there and there's a huge bunch of information there.

Here's my 2009 model ZMA.
IMAGE00180_RES.jpg

Karizma is a good buy, one of the better bikes in the options. don't go for Pulsar, my friend is regretting his decision because of frequent breakdowns.

Thank you @eternoMind, I bought it used a couple years ago. This has done about 20K but I haven't done many tours on it (few 1000 km tours and some 100-200 km runs). I do detail it regularly so that it looks shiny enough.
I've taken care of regular oil changes and regular maintenance myself. Using Shell AX7 or Rimula R4 has given good results with this engine.
Tyres were replaced with CEAT Zoom for F and R, and then I replaced the Zoom F with a CEAT F85 (ribbed pattern).
I also replaced the chain/sprocket with a Rolon OEM kit.
Other things done were replacement of the timing chain/sprocket and cam chain tensioner. Also had to replace the front brake disc as it was scored by the original owner who didn't bother about such things like pad replacements.
The bulb was replaced with a Philips Xtreme Vision 55/60 (without a relay), I also downgraded to a 55/60 Philips premium vision after that.
The spark plug is an NGK G Power.

I am going to tour regularly on my CBR, which is a better mile muncher, plus has the added advantage of ABS and tubeless tyres.

@AMG any bike can be a lemon or you can get a good deal, it all depends on your research. Do a background check, and thoroughly inspect the bike (any bike) before purchase. Take a look at the chassis (any damage). Rim bends, engine noise etc. Everyone writes excellent in those ads, but you don't really know what you're going in for till you actually take a first hand look at the vehicle. If possible, take a reliable mechanic with you and have him inspect the vehicle.

Back