Anyone using Transformer Prime in India?

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Is anyone's using Transformer Prime in India? I need opinion on its GPS performance in India. I understand there are issues with its GPS performance, but is it completely broken? I am planning to get this tablet as it is only tablet that comes close to filling most of my requirements. I don't plan to use GPS on a daily basis, but just what to know how usable it is on the transformer prime.

^Where did you read that? And what apps are affected by it? I've used GPS on various devices in google maps and it works perfectly. Though I wont expect google navigation to work.

^Where did you read that? And what apps are affected by it? I've used GPS on various devices in google maps and it works perfectly. Though I wont expect google navigation to work.

Google maps relies on network connectivity also and is bound to work but if you try to use an offline GPS, there may be issues.

I read somewhere that ASUS had even removed GPS from the list of features of the prime.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Google maps relies on network connectivity also and is bound to work but if you try to use an offline GPS, there may be issues.

I read somewhere that ASUS had even removed GPS from the list of features of the prime.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Maps relies on internet to render the map as maps are not stored on the device. You have an option to use wifi/3g to determine your location or use GPS to get a more appropriate estimation.

Is anyone's using Transformer Prime in India? I need opinion on its GPS performance in India. I understand there are issues with its GPS performance, but is it completely broken? I am planning to get this tablet as it is only tablet that comes close to filling most of my requirements. I don't plan to use GPS on a daily basis, but just what to know how usable it is on the transformer prime.

If you dont have an urgent need for a tablet then better wait for Windows 8 tablets to be launched in Q4 2012, Asus will definitely release a transformer prime version of windows 8.

^^ For me a tablet should be as close to a net book in terms of functionality as possible. It should be a device that I can use for some basic things on the move when I don't need to carry around my high end laptop. To put it shortly, for me, a tablet is not a full fledged computing device to be able to replace a PC or a laptop completely, but it should be enough of a computing device that manages to be more than just a content consumption device.

Here are some of my views on the sort of tablet that I am looking for.

1. Web browsing with decent support for Flash & HTML5. (Regardless of Adobe halting further development of flash for mobile platforms, it is still widely used and I won't consider any tablet that doesn't support it as long as flash itself is around and in use. Similarly decent support for HTML5 also. I found the performance and compatibility of HTML5 interactivity pretty lousy on iOS 4 and only very marginally better on Android. I hear ICS upgrade and iOS 5 have better support but in any case, I personally consider the current level of HTML5 interactivity support on any of the mobile platform's borderline useless, but at the very least my tablet ought to support the regular non intensive HTML5 stuff).

2. Document authoring/editing support (preferably word processing and presentations.. don't care about spreadsheets too much for now).

3. Ability to get content (documents/media) off any USB storage device like thumb drive, portable HDD or even a camera without requiring access to another computer to do it. i.e USB Host support. It is something so trivial that even my Idiot box (TV) is capable of reading stuff of a thumb drive or HDD. A Computing device like a tablet not having it in this day and age would be sad.

4. Should be able to connect to a Projector or LCD for viewing content on a larger scale.

5. Storage expandability. Fixed storage size is not excusable on a digital photo frame these days, let alone a tablet.

6. Streaming media playback from a media server (PC).

7. Working front camera that can be used with apps like Skype for Video chat.

8. Good WiFi support. Having 3G is also preferred, but not mandatory for the time being as I don't intend to have separate data connection for tablet at least for now. However I do think that not having a 3G compatible variant in this day is not excusable.

9. GPS good to have, but not an absolute must as I don't see myself using it extensively for now.

10. Gaming (though I am not going to expect a tablet to be a half decent dedicated gaming machine).

11. Battery life of 7~8 hours at the very least, but more the better.

12. Application base - I don't care about how many billion apps the platform has that I don't give a damn about, only whether it has the ones that I need/would like to use.

Back