Android Android stolen..what to do?

ch@ts

Skilled
My girl friends android was stolen a few hours back, and the SIMs been removed already.
We hadn't configured the android device manager, so I don't think we can delete any data.

I've changed her google, facebook and microsoft passwords, and set up two factor authentication (with my phone no) for google and microsoft, and removed the old no from all the accounts.
Changed her bank account passwords too.

I've also de-activated the SIM, and we'll go and get a new card (for the same no) tomorrow or on Monday.

She's got whatsapp, picassa, k9mail etc on the phone, is there anyway I can disconnect those?
I don't think k9/gmail will work any more, but what about things like google drive?

What else can I do to ensure that her info stays secure?

If it is still tied to the gf's gmail account, you can try installing android lost via Google play web interface... There is a separate version of the app fr situation like this!

Edit: since you ve setup 2 factor auth for the Gmail account too, the phone wont be able to access google account and remote push of app won't work... You can try Changing to old password and disabling 2 factor auth and try once !

report to the police.
Sadly there is not much you can do once the thief changes the SIM/Factory resets the device.
I lost my Galaxy Note 2 last month and the police have put the IMEI no for tracking. But even thats not helpful if the device IMEI is changed. (Yes its that simple).
I had activated Google Device manager and Prey and Avast on my phone but nothing helped. The guy just never used my SIM and even when he restarted the phone he was careful to not connect it to the net else I would have got something by now.

Luckily my SD Card was encrypted so after restarting the phone he wont be able to access my personal files such as whats app data or camera images.
I too changed all my account passwords and now only thing I can do is to follow up with police if they know anything....

I came to know that its very easy to change IMEI no using tools like R3X and they use an IMEI no from a cheap 300-500 Rs phone and after writing that IMEI to your smart phone they destroy the old cheap phone whose no was used. So technically it can never be tracked again even if the police/operators are monitoring the IMEI :(

She's in her home town for a couple of months, so she's the one who'll have to go to the police. And I don't think she cares enough to do that.
I was going to buy her a phone for her birthday anyway, which is in a few days, so the loss of the device, while felt, isn't something we're too concerned about.

What's worrying is the access to her emails, offline drive files (even though they're password protected), photos..though there's nothing embarrassing, etc.
And since I've deactivated the SIM, I don't think they can access her bank account, even though they've got all her details with them.

I dont know why people are so ignorant/hesitant about reporting lost devices to police.
The main reason to do that is say someone misuses your phone 2moro you are not responsible since you already have reported the loss to the police.
They anyways cannot trace 99% of the lost phones but its for your safety from such hassles later on.....
It does not have to be used for terrorist activities always ... Misuse could be in n no of ways.
Someone could use that device to create a fake FB ID and write something objectionable about a person/political party and you as the owner could get in trouble.
Anyways.... dont want to dramatize it a lot.
Even if you dont have the box/invoice for the phone you can still report it as missing giving the IMEI no.

Back