Graphic Cards AMD HD7XXX Discussion Thread

iamnew said:
It all depends on competition.If Nvidia can bring a good model to counter amd,we can see really good prices.

Yes, but dont expect very good competition, since TSMC will be charging both high rates. Pretty sure pricing will be almost identical.

nvidia is supposedly struggling with the performance of their 6series. its turning out to be just a die shrink without much upgrade it seems.

@unixguru: Everything depends upon what Nvidia comes up with. 95% of gamers can always be happy with the second best card, but they rarely are. Look at any generation card, especially after Xbox 360 and PS3 released. The second or third best cards have always been enough to max out most games.

mrcool63 said:
nvidia is supposedly struggling with the performance of their 6series. its turning out to be just a die shrink without much upgrade it seems.

nVidia's biggest problem is their pig headed-ness about the factor that they must absolutely have the performance king on all price points no matter what. This undoubtedly gives us some really powerful options like the GTX 570 / GTX 460 / GTX 260 Core 216, but the price paid for such performance is not justifiable in my views. nVidia cards on an average, suck in a 1/3rd more power to perform ~10% over their target cards.

AMD's strategic jumps from architecture to architecture has allowed them to retain a decent repo in performance without hogging power like a well HOG. This is most noticed in the architecture jump from

R300 [c. 2003] --> R480 [c. 2005] --> R520 --> R600 --> RV770.

A good article on the same is, AnandTech - The RV770 Story: Documenting ATI's Road to Success. A compelling read showing the conceiving of the the HD 4*** series and in xtension the HD 5*** / 6*** series.

This is strictly my point of view, so cheers guys!! [no need to say I'm an nVidia flamer].

satyanjoy said:
will 7850 enough for 1080p HD gaming ?

Depends on the game. I don't think it will be for Battlefield 3(looks like a 2xGTX580 SLi will however so don't feel bad).

I can play whatever game I want with my HD5850 at FHD. If the fps suffer, I tone down some settings. The game looks essentially the same with 2xAA instead of 4xAA or no AA unless you stop with a magnifying glass to look.

comp@ddict said:
Depends on the game. I don't think it will be for Battlefield 3(looks like a 2xGTX580 SLi will however so don't feel bad).

I can play whatever game I want with my HD5850 at FHD. If the fps suffer, I tone down some settings. The game looks essentially the same with 2xAA instead of 4xAA or no AA unless you stop with a magnifying glass to look.

I mean upcoming AAA benchmarking games like Bf 3, Skyrim, Metro 2 etc.. atleast medium details with 0 or 2X AA at full HD

satyanjoy said:
I mean upcoming AAA benchmarking games like Bf 3, Skyrim, Metro 2 etc.. atleast medium details with 0 or 2X AA at full HD

High, leave out Very High/Extreme.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

satyanjoy said:

comp@ddict said:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

high is good enough,, I hope there will not be any games to challenge the gpu as like bf3,skyrim,metro 3, witcher 2 atleast for 1 yr

It's a bad news for those who are waiting for hd 7xxx series to be released,better get hd 6850 or 6870 which are enough for full hd gaming.

thegatekeeper said:
It's a bad news for those who are waiting for hd 7xxx series to be released,better get hd 6850 or 6870 which are enough for full hd gaming.

6950 1gb at 13-14k is the safest bet for full HD gaming in current generation gpu- anything lower than that may have a shorter EOL-in terms of good frame rates in AAA games,, better wait for BF3 released than buy your gpu

thegatekeeper said:
if the budget can be stretched to 14k one should get hd 6950 otherwise 6870 is the best bet.
at full HD and good details, 6870 is good in current games while 6950 is excellent,so it will be atleast good in most of upcoming games

^^ AMD HD 7*** series delayed to first quarter of 2012 --

AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series Release Date Info - Lenzfire,

AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series Launch Delayed to 2012 ? Report - Softpedia

AMD seems to have delayed the launch of its next-generation Radeon HD 7000 graphics cores to early 2012 due to high demand for the HD 6000 series and TSMC's inability to mass produce chips using the 28nm fabrication process.

According to Nordic Hardware, AMD had capacity problems with the HD 6000 series graphics cards since orders from OEMs and distribution channels have been larger than expected.

As a result, AMD sees no reason to replace these GPUs with newer parts, especially considering their arch-rival, Nvidia, won't release any new graphics chips until later in 2012.

AMD is getting ready for the release of its next-generation Radeon HD 7000 graphics cards as reports suggest the company has already started mass production of these GPUs which are fabricated using TSMC advanced 28nm technology.

The official launch of these chips is expected to happen in the first quarter of 2012, according to DigiTimes, the same source that revealed the graphics cores have entered mass production.

If this report turns out to be true, then AMD won't be able to deliver on its promise of releasing the first Southern Islands parts by the end of this year.

The main problem faced by the Sunnyvale-based chip maker seems to be TSMC's inability to improve the yields of its 28nm fabrication process.

Furthermore, the foundry just started volume production of chips based on the 28nm node at the start of this week.

From the leaks that made it to the Web in the last couple of months, we know that AMD's upcoming Radeon HD 7000 graphics card series will be comprised of low- and mid-range solutions based on the VLIW4 architecture introduced with the Radeon HD 6900 GPU series as well as from high-end solutions in the HD 7900 range.

The latter series will use the Next Generation Core (NGC) architecture that we have covered in a series of previous articles. The key aspect of this architecture is that it will improve the performance and functionality of GPGPU computing.

The entry-level and mid-range Radeon HD 7000 GPUs will be known by the code name of Thames and Lombok, while the NCG HD 7900 series will use the Tahiti designation.

In addition to the new architecture, AMD has reveled a couple of weeks ago, that Tahiti GPUs will use a new cooling system that replaces the usual vapor chambers with a more advanced technology based on a liquid chamber design.

Source : AMD 28nm Radeon HD 7000 GPUs Entered Mass Production ? Report - Softpedia

Back