Graphic Cards AMD HD7XXX Discussion Thread

Hullo guys.. I need some inputs and clarification.

1) Do the next gen GPU's replace the previous gen counterparts at the same price?

2) I've been saving up for a decent rig and will be buying components Oct end. Do

you advise I wait for the newer chips?

p.s: If it helps, I eventually decided to go for the 560Ti instead of 6950. But looking

at the Southern Islands spec sheet, 7950 will be probably more powerful than the

6970 and will be less power hungry.

1. Most probably, yes. Give or take a couple of Ks. Also do keep in mind that the successor of 5870 was 6970 not 6870.

2. If the news sites were to be believed the cards that come out this year would not have GCN [AMD's next big gpu architecture] but a die shrink of the current 4 VLIW architecture with around 30-40% more transistors. And its a given that the power and heat would be lesser.

The true successors of the current gen gpus will only come out Jan-Feb next year and if u can wait, then by all means do so. You will get a lot more bang for ur buck but don't expect 7950 to be this side of 20k.

P.S if it helps, Im also doing the proverbial "Waiting".

Hmm.. well guess I'll just wait till end of Oct. If there are no GPU's by then, I'll just

get the 560 Ti and SLI in the future if need be.

Thanks for the 2 cents bro :)

Faraz said:
Even i am thinking of getting a 6950 2GB.
Should i wait?

It's already so late, I would say stick to the HD5850 for just 3 more months. It will be well worth it, even if you buy the HD7870, it will be 2x HD5850 with half power consumption.

comp@ddict said:
It's already so late, I would say stick to the HD5850 for just 3 more months. It will be well worth it, even if you buy the HD7870, it will be 2x HD5850 with half power consumption.

Thanks. I guess i will wait then :)

^^... I think you would be able to buy HD7870 within 15k range as it will replace the current HD6870 card... the HD79xx cards would cost above 15k :)

You might get a 7770/7850 for that price. Even these will be 25-35% powerful than current gen cards.

If you play under full HD resolution you are all set to have a blast.

Hades. said:
^^... I think you would be able to buy HD7870 within 15k range as it will replace the current HD6870 card... the HD79xx cards would cost above 15k :)
Im thinking you will be able to cash in a HD7870 within 12k itself(that depends on whether nVidia is able to provide any competition whatsoever to AMDs cards).. (pointing to HD5800 release and Fermi Delay)

tsmc have increased the prices for the 28nm because of a major increase in demand and lower output. apple is to blame for this as it is hogging the 28nm chips for the newer ipads..
dont expect the 7 series to be cheap

^^That .

7xxx is not going to be cheap, atleast not as cheap as we want it to be.

a 7770/7850 is feasible withing the 15k range, the 7870 will cost more than 15k.

The 7950/7970 will be around 20-26k. Atleast thats my guestimate.

And if iam wrong, i'd be the happiest person on the planet. :)

From the looks of it it seems that the 7950/7970 is the biggest architecture change for Radeon graphics card, and there are good reasons to believe that these are expensive to manufacture. It has been two years since the launch of Directx 11, and still no game has really used it to even half its potential. In fact, apart from Civilization V no game uses multi-core rendering which is the biggest feature of Directx 11. If these rumoured spec sheet is true, the 7870 is not only going to be faster than the 6970, but is going to do it about half the power consumption! 95% of gamers are going to be perfectly happy with the 7870, and for the odd game that needs extra power (BF3), they would just tone down the settings a little. So, the 7950/70/90 are going to be niche products I get the feeling that we are going back to the era where 600 USD is the price of the high end cards. Here is my tentative price list (in USD) for these cards

7850 - 280

7870 - 350

7950 - 500

7970 - 600

7990 - >1000

Back