Graphic Cards AMD HD7XXX Discussion Thread

muzux2

ex-Mod
AMD will ditch the VLIW architecture that has been in use from HD2XXX series since 2007. The VLIW will be replaced by CU (Compute Unit) which is a completely new development that represents the culmination of 5 years of R&D. It is expected that the new Compute Unit (CU) will be used in next generation HD7XXX series of GPU's.
AMD is working on this new architecture for almost 5 years now and has the objective to simplify the programming model to convince up to developers to address the computing power offered by GPUs. It is also the first architecture have been influenced deeply by the integration of AMD and ATI in the project Fusion.
This architecture marks a significant break compared to current GPUs by getting rid of the VLIW model, based on the simultaneous execution of multiple independent instructions in favor of a scalar function in terms of the programmer. The front-end processors and controls the structure of the caches have also been completely redesigned to offer a compute mode more efficient and flexible and to deal effectively with multi-tasking will become increasingly important for GPUs.

2hovgk1.jpg

10r0i14.jpg

The architecture of future AMD GPUs

AMD Fusion System Architecture Overview - Southern Isle GPUs and Beyond | PC Perspective

All HD7XXX related discussion goes here :)

^ Ummm.... I think these next architecture plans are not for HD7000 series.... at least, I think so. I think the Southern Island GPUs will be through and through VLIW4 (currently 6000 series consists of both VLIW5 and VLIW4 chips). I think this new scalar+vector architecture will be basis of HD8000 GPUs. That said, I have no issues if this comes in HD7000... :D

Meanwhile, a good read for the weekend. Detailed and comprehensive as always, from our beloved tech site, AnandTech : AMD's Graphics Core Next Preview: AMD's New GPU, Architected For Compute

^ This is just an architectural preview for developers. So developers can get on board early and plan their coding/next GPU accelerated applications accordingly. It will be a while till we know anything about the actual performance, in games or otherwise. AMD still have to implement this architecture in their GPUs or rather, we don't know at what stage the hardware is actually at right now based on this architecture.

If you read the Anandtech article, you'll understand many such things about GCN (Graphic Core Next, as AMD is calling it).

BTW, what is the normal release cycle for AMD GPU's? Isn't it September- October? Then we will see these by the end of the year. They just confuse people looking to upgrade with such release cycles :-(

^ As I said before... I have my doubts that you'll see this new architecture in the upcoming Southern Island/HD7000 GPUs. Chances are that mostly SI/HD7000 series will carry on the VLIW4 structure of Cayman chips. I believe that the real GCN/CU chips will power HD8000 series.

unixguru said:
Isn't this kind o stupid considering that they changed to VLIW4 for 69xx?
Nope, they were trying to squeeze maximum out

besides, there are different teams working on HD6000 and HD7000 you know. ANd HD6900 was originally planned on 28nm, but TMSC screwed up and all fisaco followed.

HD6900 was definitely gonna hold a lot more SPs but they got limited to 40nm hence we saw only 1536 (sounds lesser than 1600 of HD5870 doesn't it?)

HD7000 is gonna be a beast, like the HD5000 when it first came out on 40nm.

I can't wait.

iGo said:
^ Ummm.... I think these next architecture plans are not for HD7000 series.... at least, I think so. I think the Southern Island GPUs will be through and through VLIW4 (currently 6000 series consists of both VLIW5 and VLIW4 chips). I think this new scalar+vector architecture will be basis of HD8000 GPUs. That said, I have no issues if this comes in HD7000... :D

Meanwhile, a good read for the weekend. Detailed and comprehensive as always, from our beloved tech site, AnandTech : AMD's Graphics Core Next Preview: AMD's New GPU, Architected For Compute
The rumour is that CU will be used in enthusiast GPU's like HD7970/7950, while VLIW-4 continue to be used in mid/low range GPUs like HD7870/7850/7670. I think this approach makes sense since the AMD plans to use VLIW4 in Trinity APU and knowing that Trinity can be hybrid crossfired with only VLIW4 architecture which otherwise would be virtually impossible to make a crossfire with two chips of different architectures.

These are just previews of technology AMD is working on and like has been said before in the thread it will be HD8xxx or probably even later maybe , or we could see some lesser powerful HD8xxx debut this arch testing the waters(this is total speculation from me I know AMD do this to test new die processes not sure they will go this route with a whole arch).

Also whatever seems to be traditional drawbacks of this architecture we have to keep in mind amd's cpu program "Fusion". It would be foolish for amd to ignore the gains they could get if they work the architectures to literally FUSE and provide great performance that way. I am ranting now but just think .... the way things are looking buldozer is going to flop in terms of outright performance and this trend does not look like changing.

However in the future maybe AMD is hoping that even though their chips on their own will be inferior to intel's... paired with their own gpu fusion will ensure that it is the best combination for a gaming system.

Nvidia attempted their own X86 cpu and maybe this vision was originally theirs.

Edit:- OH and I just remembered that there is a HUGE rumor that next year E3 2012 will showoff for the first time the next gen console and it will feature a fusion system :eek:hyeah:

These are just previews of technology AMD is working on and like has been said before in the thread it will be HD8xxx or probably even later maybe

since the past 5 years, it's highly likely it comes in the HD7000 series.

Sudarshan_SMD said:
They are working on hardware but not the programs utilizing it.
The latest bunch of drivers from AMD Catalyst 11.4 onward are very good (v. 11.3 was a disaster).

XTechManiac said:
Yup. Check the performance of the latest 11.6 catalyst drivers:- AMD Catalyst 11.6 Windows 7 Driver Analysis :: TweakTown USA Edition Very positive feedback.

HD7000 will be a beast. Can't wait for 28nm.
Already uprated to v. 11.6 two days back it seems to have given my HD 5770 a shot of caffeine much better performance in The Witcher 2, waiting for the HD 7*** series to come to replace this stalwart soldier of mine.

Though I'm sad the mid-range cards will not see the light of the new Compute Unit architecture till release of the HD 8*** series of cards AnandTech - AMD's Graphics Core Next Preview: AMD's New GPU, Architected For Compute, December will be a crux point either a new lean performing HD 7*** or going to get the nVidia GTX 560 Ti (power hog by then) + Corsair VX 550 in lieu of my Cooler Master Real Power Pro 460W unable to power anything above a HD 6870.

^^ But it is in December I'll have a semester break prior to commencement of my intern, so I've got to make a call sometime then on performance and the support issue, as most MAYA and other 3D application plug-ins are biased towards nVidia cards (irrespective of quaddro series).

Back