Advice on buying mobile. (20-25k)

kvignesh

Disciple
1. Q: Budget? 20-26 k (can extended upto 1k)

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)? LCD/OLED

3. Q: Preferred display type? Bar

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them. Any international Brand. (no Micromax/karbon etc.)

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)? Touch

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc. Yes required. 5 MP above (Not a Shutterbug)

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc) .Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).WiFi/3G

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)? Calling/Texting/Internet Based Apps/Moderate Gaming

10. Q: Any other requirements? Good Battery Life.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.Galaxy S2/ HTC One s /Xperia S/ LG Optimus 4X.

Im in the market for buying a new smartphone and i almost bought Galaxy Nexus,but my father is not buying me an phone without warranty,So i can extend the

budget now.

I have shortlisted the Above phones,done the research and found out

HTC One s

1. Its is the cheapest around 23k
  2. official jelly bean soon
  3. Indian version( s3) has only 2 ROMS in XD
  4. HTC Sense is good right ?

Galaxy S2

1. Around 24.5 Locally.
  2. Great All rounder
  3. Huge Custom ROM Support.

Xperia S

1. Around 26k
  2. Good developer Support with sony headed AOSP Project.

Optimus 4X

1. Around 26k in Univercell online Store.
  2. Most Powerful in this list
  3. Locked Bootloader.
  4. LG is very slow in Updates.

I used to Have Optimus one before this and used to run Custom roms Always due to bad Manufacturer software.I have been using WP7 Since then.

I am also Open to suggestions for new Devices.I will be using this device for atleast 1.5 -2 years so Custom Rom support i am looking is only for Future OS
Updates.

If warranty is not an issue then also check AT&T's HTC One X or Galaxy Nexus.. My vote would go to the HTC One X. The AT&T version has a decent battery life, a very potent S4 Krait dual core processor, gorgeous 4.7" display, decent camera and community support as well.
Cons - Comes with fixed 16GB internal memory(non-expandable). But at almost the price you're willing to spend, it makes for a good buy!
edit - Just saw the warranty clause in your post.
So now, Galaxy S2=Sony XS>LG O4X>One S

2kool2btrue

Thank you.Even i would Prefer One X.I am holding am purchase for another week because,there is some project on XDA on Unlocking O4X bootloader,in mean time if indian ONE X price drops

due to festive discounts,i might go for that and as you say GS2 and Xperia S look the Best Values here

sasikanth8

Thank you.Xperia S and One S (Asian) have same CPU,so i think its fair considering ONE S.

I am more inclined towards Xperia S now but the recent price reduction of O4X is confusing me.

LG has always been notorious wrt updating its Android phones. O2X users were lurching in Gingerbread territory for way too long. Also, O4X has pretty bad audio quality. Its just the display and the Quad core processor that make it worthy. Even the camera is bested by the likes of Xperia S and Galaxy S2. If I were you, I would narrow down my choices to XS and GS2. One S also does not make too much sense in comparison to XS or even the GS2 for that matter.
So, if you can get the AT&T One X then it should keep you happier than the rest. Although, the international One X features a Tegra 3 processor and 32GB Internal Memory, its battery life is strictly average, if not mediocre. Also, people over at Head-Fi are not fond of the international One X's audio quality as well.. Please make sure you take this into consideration as not all One X's are made alike! :)

One S also does not make too much sense in comparison to XS or even the GS2 for that matter.

^^ Any reason for discarding the One S like that?

It has a decent dual-core processor under its hood, decently huge battery and already being upped to Jelly Bean whilst the SONY XPERIA S will have to wait till sometime in Q2 2013 to get the same.

^^ Any reason for discarding the One S like that?

It has a decent dual-core processor under its hood, decently huge battery and already being upped to Jelly Bean whilst the SONY XPERIA S will have to wait till sometime in Q2 2013 to get the same.
Yes, it has. However, spec to spec, it is bested by the Galaxy S2 and XS. Moreover, it has a pentile AMOLED display. Why buy an inferior version of the One S(against the European S4 Krait one)? Just my $.02 :)
Moreover, GS2 has a great community support and with XS AOSP experiment decent support for XS can be safely assumed as well. Yes, you're right about One S getting JB but that is the only real advantage it has over XS(for now) & of course the build(subjective)

Yes, it has. However, spec to spec, it is bested by the Galaxy S2 and XS. Moreover, it has a pentile AMOLED display. Why buy an inferior version of the One S(against the European S4 Krait one)? Just my $.02 :)
Moreover, GS2 has a great community support and with XS AOSP experiment decent support for XS can be safely assumed as well. Yes, you're right about One S getting JB but that is the only real advantage it has over XS(for now) & of course the build(subjective)

I agree about the processor not being a S4 Krait but the older S3 processor on the international version is more than capable of pulling its weight. Also it is not as if OP is going to sit down and root everything from the get go, the SAMSUNG has the best support because it is the oldest device in the list not including the fact it is also the cheapest feeling.

Here is a XPERIA S showdown vis-á-vis the Galaxy SII --> Sony Xperia S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II: S-hootout - GSMArena.com, both have their PRO's and CON's, it is OP's job to discern what he needs truly.

I agree about the processor not being a S4 Krait but the older S3 processor on the international version is more than capable of pulling its weight. Also it is not as if OP is going to sit down and root everything from the get go, the SAMSUNG has the best support because it is the oldest device in the list not including the fact it is also the cheapest feeling.

Here is a XPERIA S showdown vis-á-vis the Galaxy SII --> Sony Xperia S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II: S-hootout - GSMArena.com, both have their PRO's and CON's, it is OP's job to discern what he needs truly.
Of course, I agree that S2 feels cheaper in comparison to HTC One S. However, being the oldest phone among the three does not lay testimony to the fact that, with time, the others will get as good support as S2.
Surely, it is upto the OP to decide what's best for him but since he has mentioned about the community support in his original post, it was only logical for me to give him that perspective.

as if OP is going to sit down and root everything from the get go, the SAMSUNG has the best support because it is the oldest device in the list not including the fact it is also the cheapest feeling..

ALPHA17

Thank you for the advice.I will be rooting the phone as soon the first day.Samsung advantage of community support is reduced now with this news on Xperia S.

The Reason i considered ONE S because i cant afford ONE X,and always wanted to have an HTC Device.And in think the Indian Version with the pricing now is not as bad as people are making it look like.

Aces170.Thank you. I will be getting the Xperia S.

comp@ddict. Thank you.I would have bought O4X at this price only if it had better community support, because i just don't believe LG would Update it anytime soon.

2kool2btrue Thank you for your great advices. I think I will be going with Xperia S,as it Provides Good built quality and Good community support now.

The Prices of the phone vary around 25 K-26 K,i think i will get it in few days. Once again thank you for all.

Back