Accessories for Raspberry Pi (adapter, powered USB hub etc)

avi

Skilled
I bought myself a Raspberry Pi off ebay today (at 2500 INR, including case, sweet price ain't it?) Now I want a power adapter and also a powered USB hub so that I can connect buttload of other devices (HDD, keyboard etc etc)

Any recommendation for adapter? Would prefer branded one, mobile chargers. Looking for 5V 2A, is that the right one for RPi?

and any reco for powered USB hub? I dont have many options. How is Belkin Drumstick F4U040SA? Anyone know its output power rating? (so that I can also power RPi itself)

and lastly, any other cool RPi accessories?

Last edited:
Bump.

I have bought this Transcend powered USB hub. Each USB port will give 5v/0.9A, I will use this same to power Raspberry Pi also. Hope I don't need to buy a power adapter :S Or do I? If I still need to buy one, then I am thinking to go with Nokia AC-50, its output ratings are 5v 1.3A.

Any recommended USB WiFi adapter for RPi?

Last edited:
Can you provide link for the store from where you bought your Raspberry Pi?

From where is the USB Hub getting its power? From the USB port on the RPi? Then you definitely need a separate adapter as each USB port can supply a max of 500mA only(poly fuse are there in each port. They blow when excess current is drawn and reset themselves after they cool down).

I bought from ebay with 500off coupon.

I have ordered this Transcend USB HUB. Each USB port gives 5v/0.9A, so that should be enough for Pi.

I bought from ebay with 500off coupon.

I have ordered this Transcend USB HUB. Each USB port gives 5v/0.9A, so that should be enough for Pi.
Does flat 500 off coupons exist?
What is the rating of the power adapter supplied with the USB hub? A flipkart review mentioned that the RPi is unable to take power directly from hub.

P.S: What are you going to do with the RPi? When the Beaglebone Black was available, why did you still go for the RPi?

I have used Belkin 4 Port USB Hub - F4U040SA and it works with the RPI. You can power the RPI from one of the ports and use the other 3 ports as extended USB ports by connecting the HUB to the RPI in a loop.

What is the rating of the power adapter supplied with the USB hub? A flipkart review mentioned that the RPi is unable to take power directly from hub.
P.S: What are you going to do with the RPi? When the Beaglebone Black was available, why did you still go for the RPi?
- 5V/0.9A from USB port
- 12V/1.5A from Power Adapter

That review is not correct, cos HUB is capable enough to power Rpi. No beagleboard cos of less community support

I have used Belkin 4 Port USB Hub - F4U040SA and it works with the RPI. You can power the RPI from one of the ports and use the other 3 ports as extended USB ports by connecting the HUB to the RPI in a loop.
hey per USB output for this belkin model is 500mA, but as per official rPi FAQ they have mentioned minimum should be 700mA

Got a Ourlink WU110M Mini Wi-Fi Nano USB Adapter With New Realtek RTL8188EU Chipset

this wifi dongle works fine with Rpi... its dirt cheap .. i just use it for some testing.

just checked ebay, priced around 250. Indeed dirt cheap. btw does it work OOB, or needs drivers to be installed in Raspian?

and also is this thing capable of running 24x7?

Don't forget the 100 off coupons :p

It worked out of the box on xbian 3.10.12 kernel. Just had to set the ssid to connect to in a conf file.

I got this yest only and also I don't run my pi 24x7 so not sure. If you are getting a hub its better to connect it to the hub I think.

Back