A noob's guide on buying consoles!

PS3 Which can be modded
Screen-Shot-2011-10-27-at-1.04.11-PM1-538x367.png

cpV1U.png

Guys I have been playing EA Sports FIFA series for a last few years on PC. I only play online matches. I do not play offline at all.
I was planning to switch to console as EA is not improving PC version as much compared to console versions. So my question is should I go for 360 or PS3?
- I won't be playing any other games except for EA FIFA series.
- I will be playing online multi-player modes only.
- Do they charge money to play online? If yes, how much?

PS: My brother seems to be interested in motion games like tennis. Do both of these consoles support it? How is it cost wise?

My friend got a xbox from US, he doesn't want to purchase a TV now.... So...Any recommendations for a good large pc monitor to connect Xbox?

Hey guys,

I will be getting a Xbox 360 within a few days. The question i have is that should i get a 4gb slim edition for 15k here and get the 250gb hdd from abroad?? A relative of mine is coming from Canada and i can get one down easily.

will it be worth it?/

Thread moved and merged.

Canada uses 120V, 60Hz whereas India uses 220V 50Hz supply. The power adapter (or brick as it is popularly referred to) bundled with the X360 is not universally compatible (unlike the PS3) and you will have to invest in:

a. 220V power brick.

OR

b. Step-down transformer unit.

Which will not be worth any discount you may get in the Canada console prices. Get one locally. Snapdeal is running an offer for a 4GB unit with an additional wireless controller for 15k odd.

Guys I have been playing EA Sports FIFA series for a last few years on PC. I only play online matches. I do not play offline at all.
I was planning to switch to console as EA is not improving PC version as much compared to console versions. So my question is should I go for 360 or PS3?
- I won't be playing any other games except for EA FIFA series.
- I will be playing online multi-player modes only.
- Do they charge money to play online? If yes, how much?

PS: My brother seems to be interested in motion games like tennis. Do both of these consoles support it? How is it cost wise?
Any suggestions guys?

Guys, does it make sense to buy a PS3 now. I mean I am not in a hurry so I think I would be better off buying the PS4, right.

I have been using a XBox controller for my PC games a lot. And I am no good with a keyboard and a mouse so a PS4 makes more sense to me. I could probably get a XBox One imported when it launches but a PS4 will have local warranty.

Will I be disappointed by the graphics quality coming from a PC. I have never gamed on a PC on a screen bigger than a 24 incher, but for the PS4 I am looking at at least a 50 inch TV. Suggestions in that regard are welcome as well. Also finally, is there any way to use a Xbox controller with a PS4. I am used to the weight and the analog stick position of the Xbox controller.

Well, if you're getting one for cheap, then the PS3 is not a bad investment at all. You'll have a huge library of games to play around with. The Playstaiton 4 and the Xbox One would take some time to settle in with their respective titles, so it would be a while before that happens. Besides, the games would be quite expensive. Most of the PS3 exclusives now can be obtained for nearly half their launch prices, or even less. There is no assurance that any of these game would really cross-over to Playstation 4. If you're ready to let that go, then you can wait and go for the PS4.

I bought the PS2 when it was almost towards the end of it's life-cycle and the PS3 was quite a rage. I never regretted it's purchase, for the time that I've had it. Suffice to say, you wouldn't be disappointed with the PS3 either. Coming from a PC gamer, visually, you'll be quite disappointed. These are aging consoles, so it won't be able to match the crisp visuals quality and performance of a PC game. However, there are some titles which would really make leave you flabbergasted with their astounding visuals.

If you already have a PC and a 50 inch Television AND use a 360 controller, I'm not sure why you're still using your PC monitor for gaming. You can use a 360 controller with a PS3 via a 3rd party adapter, however, you loose the motion sensing ability with it. This support is not confirmed on PS4, as it hasn't even released yet. You'll just have to get used to the DS3, which isn't difficult. The only problem area with the DS3 controller, for me, were the shoddy triggers.

Well, if you're getting one for cheap, then the PS3 is not a bad investment at all. You'll have a huge library of games to play around with. The Playstaiton 4 and the Xbox One would take some time to settle in with their respective titles, so it would be a while before that happens. Besides, the games would be quite expensive. Most of the PS3 exclusives now can be obtained for nearly half their launch prices, or even less. There is no assurance that any of these game would really cross-over to Playstation 4. If you're ready to let that go, then you can wait and go for the PS4.

I bought the PS2 when it was almost towards the end of it's life-cycle and the PS3 was quite a rage. I never regretted it's purchase, for the time that I've had it. Suffice to say, you wouldn't be disappointed with the PS3 either. Coming from a PC gamer, visually, you'll be quite disappointed. These are aging consoles, so it won't be able to match the crisp visuals quality and performance of a PC game. However, there are some titles which would really make leave you flabbergasted with their astounding visuals.

If you already have a PC and a 50 inch Television AND use a 360 controller, I'm not sure why you're still using your PC monitor for gaming. You can use a 360 controller with a PS3 via a 3rd party adapter, however, you loose the motion sensing ability with it. This support is not confirmed on PS4, as it hasn't even released yet. You'll just have to get used to the DS3, which isn't difficult. The only problem area with the DS3 controller, for me, were the shoddy triggers.

I am at a point where I am building a new rig. I can stick with PC gaming but I am not a hardcore gamer. I don't play FPS at all because I am that bad with a keyboard and mouse. I like games like Darksiders and Devil May Cry which has combo moves which can be easily reproduced on a controller. The other games I am a big fan of are racing sims and any sports based games which again are played better on a controller. In other words I only play games which can be played well with a controller.

Keeping these things in mind I thought I would be better off with a console. I don't have a 50 inch screen now. My reasoning is that for the price of 2 high end graphics cards, which I will need for high quality gaming at 1600p, I can get a 50 incher and a PS4.
With a console comes games designed specifically for controllers and more importantly exclusive games and a bigger library. Even better, no need to splurge on graphics card upgrades every year.
Yes, the lower graphics will get sometime to get used to but I guess the 50 incher should make up for it.:)

You're preaching to the choir when it comes to playing every game with a controller. I have been doing that for ages now, to the point that I have substituted it for playing FPS games.

The whole graphic card/PC upgrade logic is what brings a lot of people into console gaming, THAT and the fact that many exclusives can be enjoyed on consoles. But don't be under the impression that having a 50 inch would somehow compensate the loss of visual quality. It would be more noticeable, if not anything else.

If you're a hack-en-slash fan, then the consoles have a large array of titles to offer. My suggestion is to get a used PS3, a slim one preferably, and use that till you can invest in a Playstation 4. By that time, the PS4 would have a good amount of titles too.

Hmmm. I think to make the intelligent choice, I should go to a local game parlor and try out gaming on the PS3 on a 50 inch screen for myself and see if it is my cup of tea. Haven't played on a console since PS2 days.

You can always buy the PS4 when it hits the Indian shores. Until then the PS3 should keep you occupied. Some of the PS3 titles esp. the exclusives such as the Uncharted series, God of War III/Ascension, the more recent The Last of Us etc. offer excellent visuals compared to the rest. It is quite obvious that the PS4 will have better visuals than the PS3 due to the better hardware inside but it also depends on the developer to ensure that the hardware in the console is utilised properly. Otherwise, it may result in piss poor IQ. Case in question - Red Dead Redemption. Somehow R* sucked when it came to the PS3 port. Perhaps GTA V might just change that.

If you buy the PS3 now, you'll have plenty of titles to play and finish before you have your new PC assembled or the PS4 arrives. All the exclusives are some of the best ever made and thoroughly enjoyable. I have a 40 incher, a 5.1 home theater (that does DTS/Dolby D decoding) and both the consoles connected to it plus a super comfy couch. The experience is amazing! With a 50 incher, it would only get better the way I see it. The PS4 is about to get a lot of titles, some new and some sequels. For instance, Killzone 4. Wouldn't it be a good idea to play KZ2 and KZ3 before attempting KZ4 rather than reading about it online and getting an idea about the storyline? Same goes with the Infamous series and Metal Gear Solid. If you skip the PS3, you will miss out on a whole lot of good titles. I wouldn't recommend that.

You can get the titles from a lot of sources. Some of the successful ones can be had in their low-priced Platinum editions and combo/anthology packs which retail cheaper than if you were to buy them separately. Some can be had second-hand for cheap. A second-hand copy of Uncharted 1 retails for as low as 600 bucks! And you can sell it off for 550 bucks and you will find takers in no time. I usually pre-order the PS3 exclusives, finish them off in a couple of days after a playthrough and sell them online (TE/eBay) after deducting say 300-400 bucks from the price I paid. That's a good deal for both the parties IYAM.

Having a good PC setup and both the consoles - best of all the worlds! You wouldn't miss out on any of the good titles released.

PS: You've tagged the wrong Aman. It is @Aman27deep.

But is comparing graphics quality of PS3 and PS4 be justified. Looks like the PS4 has much better hardware, so wouldn't it also be capable of better graphics.

It's a no-brainer to assume that PS4 would sport better visual quality (and performance) as compared to the PS3. Let's face it, the hardware on the PS3 is from 2006, which is already dated. But if you're skipping this console, not only are you skipping an entire generation, you'll be skipping a whole lot of games which were offered by it. When I first saw God of War, I knew I had to get the Playstation 2, which I did. Got my Playstation 3 to continue that saga. Little did I know that the PS3 would be getting the PS2 titles HD-remastered. With the Playstation 4, we are not sure what kind of backward compatibility is supported and/or of the existing PS3 games would somehow be ported over in anyway. Not just that, assuming you're purchasing the console at launch (PS4 or Xbox One), you will have to wait for it's library to build up. Not to mention the unpredictable hardware issues which the launch consoles might have. For me, the rule of thumb has to always been wait for a good amount of time before the initial faults are identified and addressed.

So the choice is yours really.

Both of you guys make valid points, but I don't think I am that hardcore a gamer that I will be able to finish the games you guys mentioned even in a whole year.
Having said that, it also means that I could be easily satisfied by the PS3 for a whole year so I think the logical choice is to buy the PS3 now and enjoy it for a year and then move on to the PS4 later. Till then all hardware niggles would have been sorted out and I could get the earlier released games for cheap.
I think I am gonna go ahead and order the 'Last of Us' bundle for 21k from Snapdeal. Just gonna wait till I finalize and setup the TV. Have been leaning towards a 55" LED but might end up ordering a 65" plasma too.

I think it is safe to assume that PS4 will support 4k blurays. However is it too much to hope that the hardware is powerful enough and that the developers might release titles that can be played at 4k resolutions.

I think it is safe to assume that PS4 will support 4k blurays. However is it too much to hope that the hardware is powerful enough and that the developers might release titles that can be played at 4k resolutions.

Indeed. The PS4 has support for 4k photos and videos but not games. At least not yet.

See if you can get hold of the older slim from somewhere. You may be able to find the older bundle somewhere in some shop. I am insisting on this because the newer Super Slims have a tray based disc loading mechanism and the lens is exposed.

Back