9" or 10" budget tablet advice

kriplani

Disciple
Dear Friends,

I am looking for 9" or 10" tablet in budget of approx. Rs. 12,000/- (without call facility). The tablet would be used primarily for word/ excel processing applications, net surfing, movies, gaming etc.
Like to have good build quality and good ASS so that it can work for couple of years. Looking for good chipset + RAM + Screen + Internal Memory combo; extra features like GPS, bluetooth would be welcome.

Looking at spice mi-1010 / iball i9702 or something similar. Have heard both good and bad things about spice 1010.
Please suggest which tablet should I go for in this budget that meets the requirements. User reviews please.

regards,

7 is a bit small for my liking. unlessu need call facility go for spice. tab2 is outdated. other fellow members will clarify.
there is ainol tabs. service could be an issue

I am looking for 9" or 10" tablet in budget of approx. Rs. 12,000/- (without call facility)
Save up till you can afford a 10 inch galaxy tab. Nothing beats a bigger screen.

Samsung is the only game in town unless you consider ipad.

Looks like, the dilemma continues. 7" seems too small size and Samsung 10" is too costly for me.

But I want to buy something now and that is why I am looking at Local brands. Please help me choose something out of local brands (but 9" or 10").

Mods and friends, opinion please.

get a bank loan or if you have a credit card look at EMI offers. There was a big ad in my local paper the other day from Samsung about this.

Why endure for 2 years with a lesser product when you can have better.

I agree with what the others have posted, there is quite a bit of difference between basic and premium tablets in terms of out of the box experience, reliability and especially the software maturity.

Go ahead with a Chinese tab only if there is good community / dev support pushing out aftermarket ROM's else wait and save up or like everyone suggested get a good 7" tablet. I recently used a Nexus 7 and felt that it was much better than Samsungs Tab2

Do have a look here at another thread where the poster had a similar requirement as yours - http://www.techenclave.com/tablet-pc/looking-tab-under-12k-specifically-144687/

Have you considered getting a netbook though ? won't it be better for word processing and excel compared to a tablet ?

I agree with what the others have posted, there is quite a bit of difference between basic and premium tablets in terms of out of the box experience, reliability and especially the software maturity.
The cheap tabs always come with the latest OS, this is the cheapest way to add value. They do not tell you that this is most likely the last ever OS update you will ever see on that tab. What are you going to do when google pushes their latest HOTDOG update few months later that has lots of nice features, your cheap tab will not be able to use it.

Finding out which tabs have good support is tricky. First all the cheap ones here are rebrands of chinese OEMs. How to find which OEM. Companies here hop & pick any OEM for different models. Each quarter there are new tabs and even more companies with funky names pushing the same.

Best you will find is instructions how to root the device, anything more is sheer luck.

Waaay too much work for the little savings made in going with the cheaper tab in most cases.

Vice the branded models that have more visibility and devs working on them. You won't even need that as the company will support the tab for a year so you can expect at least one or two OS updates OTA for free.

Go ahead with a Chinese tab only if there is good community / dev support pushing out aftermarket ROM's else wait and save up or like everyone suggested get a good 7" tablet.
Have yet to figure out what a 7" form factor is good for.

Its too big to stick in a pocket, if it goes in a bag, there is no difference to a bigger tab. What you definitely lose out on is screen real estate. In exchange for what ?

Sure, its lighter to hold but how long are you holding it for is the question.

Any HD movies need the tab to be held even closer to your face than a ten incher. How long can you keep that up for.

I recently used a Nexus 7 and felt that it was much better than Samsungs Tab2
Nexus 7 quad core >> tab2 dual core

This particular example is an exception rather than the rule.

Now if only asus India would not rape us on the asking price.

Have you considered getting a netbook though ? won't it be better for word processing and excel compared to a tablet ?
Yep, tablets are primarily consumption devices, minor modifications to office documents is possible but definitely not for their creation.

Am guessing he wants bluetooth as he already has a wireless kb/mouse and plans to use it with the tab for office documents.

My iPad gets kind of heavy while reading books, its better when put down on a surface. So maybe a 7" will have the advantage here

CHeck out the iberry Auxus4 3G its got killer specs fro 18k, totally worth it, can take a look at its predecessor Auxus3, but its a 7' for 13k again the specs under the hood are quite impressive.

My iPad gets kind of heavy while reading books, its better when put down on a surface. So maybe a 7" will have the advantage here
So you will hold a 7" twice as long, then what ? A kindle is even lighter, but you've still got to hold it up.

For an extended period of time then its going to be placed down. A bigger screen in landscape makes it easier to read from further away.

So the 7" works if you do short bursts but isn't suited for longer periods. That tells me i'll get more use out of a 10" than a 7".

Reviews are skewed in favour of 7" because more people can afford them. This then creates the impression that a 7" is the best form factor. No mention of tradeoffs at all.

I guess its relative, if you come from a bigger screen say like a laptop the jump to a smaller screen will be rough. But if you're moving up from a 4 inch screen then maybe its an improvement.

Ideal screen size atm is unknown this is why vendors are trying to sell devices on anything from 3" right up to 10". Nobody knows what the best size is. But i can easily say bigger is better with tabs.

Good to see the discussions. Since I want to buy something shortly, my mind is going towards Spice mi-1010 as it has little bit of everything.
Any hands-on review of the Spice Tab.......

regards,

CHeck out the iberry Auxus4 3G its got killer specs fro 18k, totally worth it, can take a look at its predecessor Auxus3, but its a 7' for 13k again the specs under the hood are quite impressive.

I read bad review of iberry on internet.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to see the discussions. Since I want to buy something shortly, my mind is going towards Spice mi-1010 as it has little bit of everything.

regards,

Why not ainol hero. It also has good community support on slatedroid

Rickyk has one but has not posted since he bought it.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not ainol hero. It also has good community support on slatedroid
Yes, a chinese tab that actually sells under its own name in India. These are better candidates for community support.

Thing is does Ainol have any shops in the country or only in Bombay and then everybody else has to use mail order.

With these tabs ignore the paper specs, they will seem as good as tier1, but when you play with them you will start to see the differences. Do not buy any tier 2 or lesser tab unless you can test it.

The simplest layman's test i know is to just swipe the screens quickly and watch the response. When i did this at chroma i got to see the difference. Stuff that looked great on paper did not hold up as well.

Looks like, the dilemma continues. 7" seems too small size and Samsung 10" is too costly for me.

But I want to buy something now and that is why I am looking at Local brands. Please help me choose something out of local brands (but 9" or 10").

Mods and friends, opinion please.

You had posted pretty bad reviews of the Hero here and on slatedroid. What has changed?

i have same situation like u have now . i choose ainol hero . hardware and buid quilty is not good but worth what price u paid . high cost samsung note 10.1 is also worth because better service , software and build also u get good resell value

i had lot's of software issue initially when i brought ainol hero . like lot's of apps on playstore r not compatible , HDMI won't work with my sony LED . youtube application won't work but after some official firmware upgrade & with help of slatedroid community i resolve most of problem . so . i m pretty happy with it now

if u going to buy karrbon . MX . videocom tablet it's better to go for ainol hero . or go for branded tab

my recommendation go for branded one if u not have budget go for ainol hero . buy it from ebay to be safe

i had lot's of software issue initially when i brought ainol hero . like lot's of apps on playstore r not compatible , HDMI won't work with my sony LED . youtube application won't work but after some official firmware upgrade & with help of slatedroid community i resolve most of problem .
So which problems do you have left?

Back