5* vs inverter ac. Which to buy?

6pack

ex-Mod
I'm on the look out to buy a power saving ac. I was looking at the 5* rating ac's on various sites and saw most of them having power consumption in the range of 940-1200 watts for a ~1 ton AC.
The inverter ac's like Panasonic and Sharp (both 1Ton) have around 740-1010 W rating, but cost like around 8-9k more.

If I keep 10k extra for installation charges, wiring, etc, the inverter ac goes above my budget of 40k. Most 1T inverters come around 37K mark whereas the non inverter models come around the 28K mark.

Are these inverters worth the extra cost? My usage will be around 10-12 hr's during the night and I will keep the ac temp around 30°C mostly since night temps are around 32°C now.
My electric tariff is around 9 for 301-500 units and will probably go higher in the coming months.

Another thing I forgot to mention is most of the non inverters use the R-22 gas. Is the gas going to be phased out in India and will the gas refills get costlier in future?

Links to acs-
1- http://www.panasonic.com/in/consumer/home-appliances/air-conditioners/split-ac/cs-s12pky.specs.html

2- http://www.panasonic.com/in/consumer/home-appliances/air-conditioners/split-ac/cs-ys9pky.specs.html

3- http://m.lg.com/in/split-ac/lg-LSA3NP5A?xLgDomain=lg

4- http://kenstar.in/kenstar-1-ton-5-star-ac.html#

5- https://www.sharpproducts.in/productdetails.aspx?cid=13&id=293

My usage will be around 10-12 hr's during the night
How many months in a year?

My electric tariff is around 9 for 301-500 units and will probably go higher in the coming months.
9 Rs/unit is a lot! You should definitely see a quicker return with whatever power savings you get with an inverter.

Another thing I forgot to mention is most of the non inverters use the R-22 gas. Is the gas going to be phased out in India and will the gas refills get costlier in future?
I think its slated for a 2020 phase out, not sure. So yes eventually it could get expensive, but looking at the lifespan of current ACs you might end up changing the AC before that.
However, there's no reason why you should be adding refrigerant to a system except during the initial setup or if you shift the AC. In all other cases dropping refrigerant points to a leak in the system which should be fixed first. In the US I believe its actually illegal to keep topping up a system without fixing the leak (since refrigerants are greenhouse gases).

Let me share with you a real life experience. I had this 1.5T Hitachi 5* Window AC last year. Used it till mid July and I got this Sharp XP10PMT (1.5T Inverter AC) since my daily usage is more than 16 hours. I used the Sharp till the fall. Looking at my electricity consumption (without any change in my usage), I can confirm that I didn't see a drop in power bills. I was hoping to see a drop of at least 30% drop. My 50K that I spent didn't bring me any benefit except for reduced noise (even my Hitachi is reasonably silent).

If I'll have to buy again, I'll go back to a 5* rated AC than going with the hype about the inverter AC.

@6pack
Agree with the above post. There is lot of hype on inverter, 5-star etc.

You may know that the star rating is valid for the first year only.

You have been sensible by going for 1T (which is sufficient for most rooms) rather than fall for "at least 1.5T". By going for 1T it will be almost an inverter, running reasonably flat-out, instead of starting & stopping. It is the frequent start/stop that makes the bill shoot up and which the inverter is supposed to save.
But, many times I found the difference in prices not worth it. In my case, ~4 years back I bought a 1T (LG) AC. At that time the difference between a 3-star and 5-star was worth ~7 years of the power bill (based on usage) - by which time the AC is ready to be junked.

So, so some simple math. Calculate your potential units (from number of hours of usage) and decide.

Are you sure about Rs. 9/unit? It is very high for residential use in the <500 units band.

Also, the budgeted 10k for installation seems very high. Find out from people living in your area. Also factor in cost of a stabilizer.

My a/c person says that inverter models are successful if the ambient temperature is less than 40 degrees. Else there is not much of a savings as the compressors don't last as they work at a much higher pressure and are bound to wear out sooner

How many months in a year?

9 Rs/unit is a lot! You should definitely see a quicker return with whatever power savings you get with an inverter.
Around the whole of summer beginning from March to Jun and the 1-2 months after the rains are over. Probably around 5-6 months a year I guess.

My electric company is already charging 7.8 for the 101-300 units slab. It's 1.5 rupees more for the next slab and beyond 501 it's around 11 I think. Right now my consumption is around 140 units/month. I'm just adding 150 units to it @5 units per day since an ac will probably take that much over 8 hr's.

Is the Panasonic 0.75T inverter good? It's specs says it runs from 250-850W. The price is too much though. 38k. :eek:

Keep the AC temps at 30°C?

24°C is considered ideal.

In December, the temps in my area are around 25°C with humidity around 40%. I start shivering at night at those temps.
The least bearable temps for me would be around 26 I guess. But to keep electricity costs down, I'll be keeping the ac at around 29+-1. Summer temps in my area hit 35-36 ( humidity around 55%) from past few years in the day and hover around 33 at night.

@6pack
Agree with the above post. There is lot of hype on inverter, 5-star etc.

You may know that the star rating is valid for the first year only.

You have been sensible by going for 1T (which is sufficient for most rooms) rather than fall for "at least 1.5T". By going for 1T it will be almost an inverter, running reasonably flat-out, instead of starting & stopping. It is the frequent start/stop that makes the bill shoot up and which the inverter is supposed to save.
But, many times I found the difference in prices not worth it. In my case, ~4 years back I bought a 1T (LG) AC. At that time the difference between a 3-star and 5-star was worth ~7 years of the power bill (based on usage) - by which time the AC is ready to be junked.

So, so some simple math. Calculate your potential units (from number of hours of usage) and decide.

Are you sure about Rs. 9/unit? It is very high for residential use in the <500 units band.

Also, the budgeted 10k for installation seems very high. Find out from people living in your area. Also factor in cost of a stabilizer.

So you say I should stick to a 5 star ac? The power tariff is from what I saw at back of the bill.
The 10k is for installation plus wiring plus stabilizer. I'm concerned about the stabilizer part. I read in another thread here about the stabilizer being a power hog and not having good power factor.

Do these ac's need a stabilizer? I'm seeing them having a running range from 180-270 volts. These new Ac's probably are conditioned to run in such a wide range comfortably.

I would say go for the Inverter model if you can afford it. I used to have a Hitach 5* in my bedroom that is now moved to my Home Theater. In it's place I now have a Daikin Inverter AC. The quality of sleep you get with an Inverter model is far superior to the start stop conventional model. The conventional models typically cut off and on very often. Say you set 25 degrees as the temperature your AC would run until the room temperature is 23. When the room temperature is around 27 the compressor would turn on again. In the process at 23 it will be too cold hence one would pull over a blanket. At 27 it will be too hot for the blanket and one would have to take it off. This ritual will continue all through the night. In case of Inverter model the temperature is always maintained around 25.

Stabilizer is one additional layer of protection. Cost point-of-view, replacing it would be cheaper compared with PSU of the AC (I used the term PSU loosely - PC lingo).

Do the math reg viability of AC type.

I do not have direct exp of inverter AC, but I seriously doubt reg "quality of sleep" improving with inverter. You won't (at least I never did, till now) notice compressor cut in/out in a split. Window AC - yes, not in a split.

There are enough programs that gradually increase the room temperature in sync with body temp as the night wears on, this even in the basic split-AC model of LG that I have (I don't use the feature).

Most of the time (repeatedly proven in many studies and was proven again on NatGeo Brain Games - Money) we imagine/feel we are getting a better deal (incl. taste of a cake!) when we buy expensive stuff.

Stabilizer is one additional layer of protection. Cost point-of-view, replacing it would be cheaper compared with PSU of the AC (I used the term PSU loosely - PC lingo).

Do the math reg viability of AC type.

I do not have direct exp of inverter AC, but I seriously doubt reg "quality of sleep" improving with inverter. You won't (at least I never did, till now) notice compressor cut in/out in a split. Window AC - yes, not in a split.

There are enough programs that gradually increase the room temperature in sync with body temp as the night wears on, this even in the basic split-AC model of LG that I have (I don't use the feature).

Most of the time (repeatedly proven in many studies and was proven again on NatGeo Brain Games - Money) we imagine/feel we are getting a better deal (incl. taste of a cake!) when we buy expensive stuff.

Saw this in the FAQ of VGuard site :
http://www.vguard.in/stabilisers-faq/
Will a stabilizer always give constant output voltage?

No . But output voltage will be maintained within a safe operating range provided the input voltage is within the specified limit.

What's the use of stabilizer if it does not give constant output? Shouldn't the output of a stabilizer be 220-230V always?

If your AC is not cutting in and out then your AC is too small for your room as the compressor is running all the time trying to bring the room to the set temperature. Another reason could be that you have too many leaks in your room. Of course electronics such as a running PC, TVs etc also do add to the continuous heat generation in the room.

@jumbumali - you probably never had the quality of sleep issue because your AC was probably running forever to catchup with the set temperature. Others: How many of you using regular ACs cross your heart and tell me that you do not reach for the blanket in the middle of a summer night?

BTW your AC compressor is no different from an regular fridge compressor and now don't tell me you frdige's compressor never turns off!!![DOUBLEPOST=1427348439][/DOUBLEPOST]
Saw this in the FAQ of VGuard site :
http://www.vguard.in/stabilisers-faq/

What's the use of stabilizer if it does not give constant output? Shouldn't the output of a stabilizer be 220-230V always?

If you want near constant output then you will be better by a servo stabilizer.

Last edited:
Fairly convinced that I need a inverter ac for my requirements and 1.5ton.

Daikin FTKP50PRV16 1.5 TON INVERTER AC

http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/daikin-ft...it-ac/p/itmdvjppabsuw3y4?pid=ACNDVGRUM6UDZMGY

Any opinions on this AC? Seems to be the most popular model in inverter ACs out there. For usage in Hyderabad.

I would suggest that you look up the dealers in Hyderabad on Daikin's website. Ask them for the price over phone. Tell them you are going to buy tomorrow based on whoever gives the lowest price. Once you get the lowest price ask them for installation costs. Daikin does not come with copper tubing. So will have to pay extra for that. Same is the case for the OD unit supporting stand.

I would suggest that you look up the dealers in Hyderabad on Daikin's website. Ask them for the price over phone. Tell them you are going to buy tomorrow based on whoever gives the lowest price. Once you get the lowest price ask them for installation costs. Daikin does not come with copper tubing. So will have to pay extra for that. Same is the case for the OD unit supporting stand.

I have already done that the local dealers are offering at 49k including installation...
after al negotiations this is the best bargain I am getting.
FK price is 41k without installation, which in this case would be near 5.2k as told by many users on FK site.
since the difference is less than 10% , I would rather buy locally.

I wanted to know any forum members using the same AC ? How is the performance cooling capacity etc ?
any first hand reviews are welcome

One suggestion I would give you is to check with FK how the installation needs to be handled. When I bought a Samsung Plasma, Samsung was supposed to install it but as it was a national holiday (Oct 2nd) they were going to install on the next day. Surprisingly I got a call from FK if they should send someone for installation. I said yes and they came and installed it (wall mounting) on Oct 2nd for free. FK used a third party installer.

As AC installation requires accessories it might be different from a Plasma TV wall mounting. But, it is worth a shot.

BTW, I have a 2 Ton Daikin that is working pretty good. The outdoor unit of the Daikin is so quiet that the guy who came to install it was actually wondering if it was even running :).

Back