4km long urban wifi connectivity possibility

100khz

Disciple
Now this is crazy, since i want to establish a 4km wifi connectivity in Delhi.

Where i live, there are constant digging for some major sewage project which will take years to finish. So, no broadband provider except MTNL wants to come in my area. I used airtel earlier but after shifting to this new place, I have no option for perhaps few years other than MTNL.

Now today 31 days have passed since mtnl phone is dead. Due to digging, MTNL cables have been cut. I am totally screwed and on ventilator support of 3G. I work from home. You know how costly 3G is and i am going nuts. I may consider shifting my home since without internet i can't survive.

Crazy Solution if i can make it work

My grandparents live around 7 KM away from my home and airtel is available at their house. Its about 4 KM if i consider diagnal air distance instand of distance by road. So shortest air distance should be 4 KM from their terrace to my terrace.

I read few articles where people have established long distance wifi connectivity. I guess you guys would have understood wats on my mind. Which might be not possible but worth experimenting or discussing here atleast.

First of all i wish to have any valuable inputs, suggestions, criticism from you guys. I wish to get airtel at my grandparents house, send it over wifi to my home 4 km away across buildings in between, and receive it from my terrace. I can put an antennae/dish at terrace at both the locations.

Please throw some darkness...

Companies like Tata and Reliance that don't have a phone network for last mile connectivity use wireless links (WiMAX I guess?). You can try contacting one of them to see if they would be willing to set one up for you.

If you still have to go the DIY way, you can probably find some decent distributors for dishes/access points from here : http://routerboard.com/distributors
eg: these people are located in delhi :http://www.kc-india.com/Site/3_ubiquiti-networks?orderby=price&orderway=asc

this was quick. I wonder if just applying 2 such dishes will do, one at sending and other at receiving end? And we do not need extenders to be put inbetween the entire distance.

what do you think, which i will research anyways, just putting 2 27db ap-cpe one at sending and other at receiving end will solve the purpose in city?
IF so, then i wouldn't wait a sec and try and apply the same asap. Just need to know what strength ap=cpe is needed for my kind of distance.

But the links you gave above are really useful. Thanks

Is there a Tikona broadband available in your area ? Since it is wimax based (or similar) might work. But i read bad reviews about them.

But for such long distance links, don't you need line of sight? OP says there are multiple buildings in the path, so will this work out?

i can't suggest you any hardware based solution but you should look for WiMax options if you have tall buildings around you. private companies are going the wimax way because of constant cable theft and non-stop digging in delhi. wimax needs antennae to be in line-of-sight and they'd install them happily where the height of the buildings is regulated. they don't do it so easily for privately build independent houses because of height issues (surrounding trees, other taller houses, etc.).

i had wimax for couple of years until 2010 but my antenna was less than a KM away from the source. technology would've changed by now... check with tata indicom.

Some CPEs do claim insane distances possible. I am buying a TP-Link outdoor CPE (Claimed 2km) but my requirement is barely 300Mtr. I should get it this week, will let you know how far the range goes.

Its against govt regulations for private people to set up their own network without license. 4km is not a small distance.
Even walkie talkies are not allowed here without proper paperwork I believe.
If everyone was to set up their own DIY tower then where will the govt earn money from? Why will companies like airtel or tata invest crores in fees and wifi towers?

i have to make something work and get a stable high speed internet asap.. There has to be a way. Wimax seems a good option. Will look into it.

I'm positive this is illegal.

In any case, the power you will need to make this happen will kill any small animals in the vicinity, and create lots of wifi interference for everybody in the path.

Plus 2.4GHz consumer band is not really meant for distances over 100m, more than that is illegal (and probably dangerous for even your health: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/05/can-wifi-signals-stunt-plant-growth/).

The reasons cellphones work at longer distances (and mind you, not more than a couple kilometers in urban scenarios) is the combination of lower wavelengths - usually 1800Mhz in India, though some networks are still on 900Mhz - and much higher transmitter power. Some can go to a couple dozen watts. There are some interesting research papers on the effects of the antennae on living beings in their vicinity, none of which make for decent reading unless you're bored of horror flicks.

Valid points. The US FCC has regulations on transmit power and has capped it at 1W/30dBm for 2.4GHz/5GHz devices. The devices he's mentioned are rated at 27dBm. Whats the transmit power allowed by the TRAI (or respective regulatory body)?

In any case, I didn't notice that there isn't a clear LOS, so range will be difficult to predict. You would need to shift to lower frequencies as cranky said, since 5GHz tends to fall off much faster. So its back to WiMax (since it was designed for urban areas with plenty of NLOS) or 3G.

I'm positive this is illegal.

In any case, the power you will need to make this happen will kill any small animals in the vicinity, and create lots of wifi interference for everybody in the path.

Plus 2.4GHz consumer band is not really meant for distances over 100m, more than that is illegal (and probably dangerous for even your health: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/05/can-wifi-signals-stunt-plant-growth/).

The reasons cellphones work at longer distances (and mind you, not more than a couple kilometers in urban scenarios) is the combination of lower wavelengths - usually 1800Mhz in India, though some networks are still on 900Mhz - and much higher transmitter power. Some can go to a couple dozen watts. There are some interesting research papers on the effects of the antennae on living beings in their vicinity, none of which make for decent reading unless you're bored of horror flicks.
Thanks for the info cranky, useful as ever. This is the one I ordered http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WA5210G#spec and I had seen the same installed at the college premises where I volunteer sometimes. Plus this thing is available off the shelf so I thought it must be legal.

Thanks for the info cranky, useful as ever. This is the one I ordered http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WA5210G#spec and I had seen the same installed at the college premises where I volunteer sometimes. Plus this thing is available off the shelf so I thought it must be legal.
Using TPlink 5210G is perfectly legal but you would like to check the range . On paper it says 200 feet or 60M . Whereas one of TPlink dealers told me it works fine for 700M direct line of sight with no big buildings . If more range is required he recommended this antenna http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=2474&model=TL-ANT2424B for 2.4 and this one http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=2474&model=TL-ANT5830B for 5 Ghz . [DOUBLEPOST=1369998429][/DOUBLEPOST]Any one who has used these TL-WA7510N/ TL-WA5210G can tell about actual ground performance ? I am planning to get 5Ghz TL-WA7510N for covering 700M

can i setup wimax myself? like using a wimax device with airtel broadband at one end and transmitting signal via the wimax device setup my self? since wimax is used in cities, it must be legal to use the same. How about DIY wimax?

Back