4 inch screen or larger with Jellybean at around 15K

Galaxy S Duos or Pantech Burst. Although, both are on ICS with no confirmed reports of Jelly Bean updates for either.

I'd say you should reconsider your 'No Micromax, etc.' stance. In your budget phones like the Canvas HD or the new Xolo phone make good sense considering their specifications and out of the box Jelly Bean experience.

Read some horror stories about Micromax hardware issues and horrible warranty service. Just been reading about the Xolo A1000. Sounds very attractive.

I'm using a S2 now. Will these be a big comedown in performance?

Oh. Why would you want to shift from the S2? I own an S2 too and there's no way I'd shift to one of these devices. The S2 is still good enough for any game/app/task that I throw at it and its large developer base ensures that it will most certainly receive Lime Key Pie as well.

Handing the S2 to my wife, and was thinking of a S3, but am tempted to try cheaper options.

- - - Updated - - -

Not tech savvy enough to root etc

have you taken her inputs ? in my experience womenfolk prefer petite phones, and may not share our enthusiasm for bigger phones :p

Yes, she would like a bigger screen, though usage is minimal. It is always in a handbag, so size is not so much of an issue. Main non phone use is music while cycling, and then it is in her jersey pocket. Again size is not an issue.

Handing the S2 to my wife, and was thinking of a S3, but am tempted to try cheaper options.

- - - Updated - - -

Not tech savvy enough to root etc

How about getting S Duos or the Xolo A1000 for the wife and keeping the S2 for yourself? The official 4.1.2 update for S2 is out for European users and even you can flash the same on your phone. It won't require knowledge of rooting and stuff and will give you the awesomeness of Jelly Bean on your 'old' phone.

I think it makes no sense to downgrade from S2 to a 15k laggy phone. Keep the S2 with you. :) S3 would be a good upgrade but even then wait 2-3 months. After the S4 launches, S3 prices should drop quite a bit.

OK, for a real noob, any pointers to any links which would show me how to do that please?

Here you go - LINK

Try it at your own risk though. If I were you, I'd rather root and install a custom ROM based on 4.1.2 or 4.2.1 but that's just me. Maybe this is simpler than having to root using ODIN + Flashing several zip files.

Back