Storage Solutions 1TB Seagate HDD dead, Repair options in Bangalore

Parv

Adept
My 1TB Maxtor external HDD stopped working*(more explain below). I opened the casing and found that it's a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 HDD.

I connected it to my pc as internal drive but BIOS is not detecting it.

It contains photos and videos of my 3 years old son. I don't have backup and want to recover/get them back.

*By not working I mean, it spins up makes some rattling noise and spins down, and this spin-up and down cycle continues until I switch off the power.

What are my options to get the data back? someone please point me to any reliable and cheaper HDD repair/recovery shop in Bangalore.

Update: I'd like to add that the HDD was neither dropped nor mishandled improperly. This might have gone bad because of irregular power supply fed to the HDD as my son used to put the power supply on and off. I got to know about it only after the hdd was dead.

This is how it sounds now:

Rattling sound you say, that sounds bad.

Most chances a destabilized head / platter crashed into each-other, you will need to contact professional aid for this @Parv.

Sorry, could not be of much help.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ thanks ALPHA17, and No problem, no need to be sorry.

Also please don't go by what I said, maybe I explained it as rattling, but you can play the video and see how it's sounding now.

And I would wait for few more suggestions.

Updated the OPost with some more details.

^^ thanks ALPHA17, and No problem, no need to be sorry.

Also please don't go by what I said, maybe I explained it as rattling, but you can play the video and see how it's sounding now.

And I would wait for few more suggestions.

Updated the OPost with some more details.

The Click is like a rattle, you gave a decent description and mostly click-click sound = hard-drive is screwed OR soon to be screwed.

Here are a few articles that might provide more help --
Click of death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hard Drive Clicking | Hard Drive Clicks | Hard Drive Noise
Is Your Hard Disk Making Strange Clicking Sounds?

Also, which SMPS are you using currently, Sire?

Thanks ALPHA17

I'm aware of Click of Death, that's why I saying it's probably not click of death.

By the way in Click of death, the Data is pretty much safe on platters and is not readable because of the faulty actuators/head. There are a few articles on web to recover data from an HDD with click of death using "Ubuntu Rescue Remix Live CD".

I'll try to explain it once again, I think the PCB or PreAmp is dead and not able to feed necessary power to HDD to spin it to desired rpm.
So essentially the sound looks like the HDD spins and the actuator arms moves and the HDD winds down again beacuse of less power or whatever.
Once again the HDD spins the actuator moves and the HDD winds down and cycle continues.

And I'm using Corsair VX450, so I think no problem there.

Thanks ALPHA17

I'm aware of Click of Death, that's why I saying it's probably not click of death.

By the way in Click of death, the Data is pretty much safe on platters and is not readable because of the faulty actuators/head. There are a few articles on web to recover data from an HDD with click of death using "Ubuntu Rescue Remix Live CD".

I'll try to explain it once again, I think the PCB or PreAmp is dead and not able to feed necessary power to HDD to spin it to desired rpm.
So essentially the sound looks like the HDD spins and the actuator arms moves and the HDD winds down again beacuse of less power or whatever.
Once again the HDD spins the actuator moves and the HDD winds down and cycle continues.

Yep the SMPS is out of the scanner.

Have you tried using a Live-Disc to boot? If not, please do at the earliest and check if it is being detected there.

If nothing works you will have to either give it to professionals (who will extract their pound of flesh per GB).

^^ It's not being detected by BIOS, so I think no OS will detect it.

And pound of flesh per GB for 1000GB might be too much of money.

Anyway my original query is still unanswered, I'm still looking for a shop which can recover/repair the HDD.

^^ It's not being detected by BIOS, so I think no OS will detect it.

Mayhaps the controller and the actuator both are damaged then.

As for the original query, use Just Dial and go down to the S.P. Road they can guide you best. Its been some time since I visited that place.

Yes, head to SP market and check out some of the renowned shops there (for a lead).

Before going give a call to Seagate SC too, whether they can come to any help:

SERVICE CENTER NAME :Accel Frontline Services Limited
ADDRESS1 :NO. 2 & 3,
ADDRESS2 :NEW RAJA BUILDING
ADDRESS3 :N R ROAD,ABOVE ANDHRA BANK
ZIP :560002
CITY :BANGALORE

EMAIL :seacare_bangalore@accelfrontline.in
PHONE1 :08030078348
PHONE2 :08030078349
MOBILE :9916344171

CONTACT NAME: P.Thirumaran

Did you recover your data? A friend has a 1TB Seagate that needs recovery too.

Any idea how much Stellar or Accel charge for typical data recovery services?

@Parv @Crazy_Eddy My 1 TB WD My book crashed a few months back. HD is detectable in BIOS but not in any OS or a number of data recovery tools i tried. Contacted Stellar in bangalore, they said i can come with the hard drive, 1000 bucks is there charge for analyzing the drive and then only they can give me a detailed estimation of what can be recovered. And after that there quote was 67k for 500 gb of data that i wanted recovered. Gave up on it. HD is still lying with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing against OP, anyone could be in the situation. But may I take this opportunity to request a sticky thread on the topic, with links to such threads, to remind people to backup?

Maybe we can start a cooperative backup society on the lines of volunteergrid, but with guidelines specific to Indian realities e.g. not have such high uptime and bandwidth requirements. Instead of their 500 GB requirement, maybe we can have a minimum of 50GB.

Self-encrypted backups hosted at each other's hard drives could be a viable starting point. Torrents could be used for exchanging the encrypted data. When a need to restore comes, we could tag the hoster on TE, or email him or devise other ways of contacting them so that he can seed the torrent back and the uploader can get back his data.

PS : does TE have a torrent tracker? There are other public trackers, so it is not necessary, just asking.

Back