Storage Solutions 1 TB External HDD: Seagate or WD ? warranty confusion?

aka911

Skilled
Hi everyone,
Well I am looking to buy an external HD for storage expansion with the following needs:
> 1 TB
> just a basic drive, dont need cloud/automatic/ wireless access
> reliability and warranty are main concerns
> Budget <5k, the lesser , the more preferable

Looking at : Seagate Expansion 1 TB : 4.4k at FK and only 1 year warranty
WD elements 1 TB : 4.4 k at FK and confusion about warranty
Seagate backup Plus 1 TB : 4.7 k at FK and 3 year warranty

Since morning I have been going through all the websites and ended up totally confused..so any help will be appreciated...
My queries are:
1) How much warranty does WD elements carry? 1 yr or 3 yr? As per WD warranty website it is 1 year but as per FK and other ecommerce websites it is 3 year.
2) what is the difference between seagate backup plus and Seagate expansion?
3) which is the better choice among these?
4) any other suggestions?

regards,
aka.

Just FYI, Amazon.in is cheaper for both drives.
WD - Rs.4371/-
http://www.amazon.in/Western-Digita...d=1396714081&sr=8-1&keywords=WD+elements+1+TB

Seagate Rs.4108/-
http://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Expans...714062&sr=8-1&keywords=Seagate+Expansion+1+TB

The WD site states the Element carries a 2 year warranty. The Seagate has only 1 year IIRC.

If you want to be 100% sure, call WD's toll free no. on Monday and ask.
WD Warranty Support - 1800-200-5789 & 1800-419-5591
WD General Support - 1800-200-5789 & 1800-419-5591

Monday - Saturday, 9 AM - 6 PM IST.

Last edited:
i find the warranty on these external drives to be less useful as you lose your data with the replacement. Recovery which is a basic copy to the new drive costs extra.

What happens is the usb interface gives out but the HDD inside is fine. Result to you is no access of data. chances that the drive failed are low, the usb interface failing much higher. if you can open the casing, you lose the waranty but if you have a rig to connect up the drive chances are good your data is just fine as well as the HDD itself.

Don't fall for the Backup Plus or WD Ultra gimmicks, they are mostly the same drives, some have useless backup bloatware bundled. Just get the cheapest USB 3. I have 3 1TB drives, WD Elements, WD Passport and Buffalo Ministation. I get almost the same speeds (80-100 mBps) on USB 3 on all of them. All have a 3 year warranty. There is hardly anything to chose between them. I am pretty sure the WD would have a 3 year warranty. Do confirm in any case though.

Thanks a lot eveyone, ordered the WD passport from ebay using a coupon, at around 4.3 k with 3 years warranty...
I think this thread can be closed now.
regards,
aka.

Back